Second Grade Journal Writing Prompts — Recently, a lovely reader named Trina left a comment on our post about Elementary Writing 49 Ideas and Story Starters for Kids. She contributed 46 fabulous journal prompt and writing ideas, and I had to share them with you.
As an added bonus, at the bottom of this post, there’s a listing of resources to other writing prompt articles organized by grade. Be sure to check them out.
Okay… without further ado, below is Trina’s fabulous listing of 2nd-grade writing prompts!
Journal Prompts and Writing Ideas for Second Graders
- What’s the most important thing you would like to do this summer?
- Go for a walk. Write a sentence about the walk you went on.
- Write about a trick you would like to play on your mom.
- What is your favorite thing to do when you play outside?
- What is your favorite thing to do when you play inside?
- Tell about what you will be when you grow up.
- Write about what you would like to do for your next birthday.
- If you could go on a vacation anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- Make a list of groceries that you think mom or dad should buy for you from the store.
- Tell about an animal you would like to have for a pet.
- What would you do if there was a dragon stuck under your bed?
- What is the funniest thing that you have ever seen?
- What did you do today?
- What is something you would like to learn more about?
- What kind of pet do you think a teacher should get for their classroom?
- What is the best movie you have ever seen?
- Tell about your most favorite book.
- Tell about your favorite holiday. Tell why it is your favorite.
- Tell about your favorite restaurant. Tell why it is your favorite.
- Write a poem about what you think first grade will be like.
- Do you think you will get married?? Write about what you think it will be like.
- What is something you love about yourself?
- If you could change anything about yourself, what would it be?
- Make a list of the things you are most thankful for in your life.
- Which season do you like the most?? Why??
- Which season do you like the least, why????
- You just won $1,000,000. What are you going to do first?
- Tell about a time when you were kind to someone.
- Tell about your favorite song.
- Write a story about the mysterious zizzybaloobuh that you just found in your bathtub.
- What is something that makes you ANGRY!!!!!
- Tell about your favorite sport.
- Tell about the last time you cried.
- What are you scared of?
- You found a magic wand! What would you do with it?
- Tell about your favorite food and why it is so good.
- Have a family member write something about you today.
- What would happen to you if you never went to school?
- In first grade, I want to learn about…
- My favorite animal is a….
- This is a list of things I like to do when I can’t watch television or play video games.
- What would you like to say to President Obama?
- What is something you are really good at doing or creating?
- What should you do if there is a bully on your bus?
- When I’m 100 years old…
- If a cat could talk, what would they say?
As promised, here is that list of writing prompts organized by grade level—
- First Grade Journal Prompts
- 3rd Grade Journaling Ideas
- 4th Grade Writing Prompts
- 5th Grade Writing Ideas
- Grades 6 – 8 Journaling Prompts
- Grades 9 – 12 Writing Starters
BONUS 15 Fun Daily Writing Prompts for Second Graders
- If you had to eat one food for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
- Do your birthday wishes come true?
- Write about something that annoys you. Why didn’t you like it?
- If you could be a movie star, what movie would you be in?
- What is your favorite kind of music? Why?
- If you could have any home in the world, what would you choose? Why?
- Would you rather live on a farm or in a city? Why?
- Do you get scared in the dark? Why or why not?
- Describe yourself in four words. Why did you pick these words?
- Write a story about a puppy with a very special superpower.
- Write about a time you were embarrassed? How did you feel?
- If you could create a new holiday, what would it be?
- What do you do when you have a fight with a friend?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- What’s your favorite subject? Why?
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Second Grade Writing Prompts,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator