Writing for Fun– Is there such a thing as writing for fun? Well, in today’s world, filled with computers and other state-of-the-art gadgets, most people do not really pay much attention to the art of writing, especially doing so by long-hand.
But, whoever says that writing is a thing of the past is deeply mistaken. Writing is one of the oldest forms of expression, and, although it is changing forms, it is not going away anytime soon.
You may be surprised at how much fun you can actually have when you write, yes… just for the fun of it.
Maybe you are a songwriter and find your muse with music. Whatever form of writing thrills you, the point is to find it and do it.
Need fun writing ideas?
Reminiscing about one of your greatest memories and putting it into written words is a super source of inspiration. Some writers draw inspiration from different items and things within their surroundings or sometimes even from within themselves. Personal experiences are one of the best ways to inspire new writing ideas. We like to use writing prompts, which is why we’ve published over a 10,000 of them here on our site.
For some people, writing can take the stress out of their day. You do not need to compose sonnets and haikus in order to call yourself a writer. There are a lot of different literary forms that you may opt to use as your preferred form of written expression. (Pssst… Journaling is one of our favorites!!!!)
Keeping Your Writing Fun
Do not pressure yourself to produce lengthy written works. Sometimes a paragraph can be sufficient. Some days a word may even suffice! As long as you are able to convey the thought that you intended to get out, you are successful with your writing.
The entire point of writing for fun is to practice your skill at expressing yourself all while playing with the written word. By doing so you are able to practice your creativity and logical thinking and at the same time have a joyous, good time with it.
When you feel like adding a little more imagination to your writing, you can create fictional characters and scenarios. The greatest “fun factor” about creative writing is that you are free to write about whatever your heart desires. That’s creative freedom at its best, and that’s also the epitome of writing for fun.
Write for Fun Ideas
1. Write a poem about outer space.
2. What is the coolest type of technological device available today? What do you like about it?
3. Write about your bedroom. What’s in it? How does it make you feel? Does it reflect your personality?
4. What is the most important lesson you have ever learned?
5. What is the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
6. Can boys be feminists? Why or why not?
7. Who is your favorite cartoon character? How long have you watched him or her?
8. What’s the silliest prank you’ve ever pulled on someone or witnessed? What happened?
9. What is the best kind of Halloween candy?
10. How do you think America will look 20 years from now?
11. How do you feel when you have to apologize to someone?
12. Write about a great male role model. Why is he inspirational?
13. Are you more like your mom or dad? In what ways?
14. Would you rather watch TV or a play? What do you like about your chosen medium?
15. What privileges have you earned as you’ve gotten older?
16. What is the best thing to do after school? How do you spend your afternoons?
17. If you could have a superpower, what would it be?
18. Would you rather lose an important material object or a favorite memory? Why?
19. Think of three ways you could help to raise money for charity. How can you implement one of them?
20. What is your favorite thing to do on your birthday?
See more writing for fun ideas here.
Remember, when writing for fun you are free to expound upon whatever thought, topic or idea you wish to explore. Also, there is no pressure to allow anyone to read it. Of course, if you wish for others to see it, then do so. Do what feels most comfortable to you.
Writing for fun has no limits. You can be as creative as you wish to be when writing about any topic of your choice. Moreover, when writing for fun you are able to stimulate and challenge your mind to create new and amazing ideas. While you hone your literary skills, you get to express yourself on a completely new level. Just imagine how fun that will be. Now go for it and get to writing for fun and then you’ll know exactly just how much fun it really is! 🙂
Until next time, write on…