Writing for Kids — Whether your students have written one journal entry or 100 journal entries, the practice of daily writing can have a positive impact on their lives. Journaling helps students to improve their writing skills and their critical thinking, as they take a topic and explore it from multiple angles.
The practice of writing also allows students to express their thoughts and feelings in a meaningful way. When students journal, they don’t have to worry about being judged or criticized for their ideas. They can instead reveal their deepest thoughts comfortably in a safe place. The key to keeping kids interested in writing is to keep their writing interesting, fun, and challenging yet creative. Below are some ideas to help in this regard.
31 Kid Writing Ideas
1. Write about a time when your first impression of someone changed after you got to know him or her.
2. Write a poem about laughter.
3. What is the coolest family trip you ever went on? What was the most memorable part?
4. Are you good at remembering to do your chores and your homework? How do you remember things?
5. If you could live the story of any book, which would you choose? Why?
6. What are you most afraid of? Why?
7. What do you think of our current president?
8. Do you like to tell jokes? Why or why not?
9. Would you rather go to a co-ed or single-sex school? Why?
10. If you had a theme song, what would it be? Why?
11. What does it mean to tell the truth?
12. Make up a mythical creature. What does it look like? What does it do? What does it eat?
13. Write a poem about your favorite holiday.
14. Make up your own tall tale. The more creative, the better!
15. Do you like being young or do you want to be older?
16. Do you like shopping? Why or why not?
17. What is your favorite way to help others?
18. Have you ever been away from your parents for a long time? How did you feel?
19. Share a funny story of something that happened to you.
20. How do you feel when you laugh with your friends?
21. If you could hear someone’s thoughts for a day, whose would you listen to?
22. What does it mean to be an original person?
23. If you could meet anyone in the world, whom would you choose? Why?
24. If you had to eat one meal every day, what would you choose? Would you get tired of it?
25. What is the most important quality you look for in a friend? Why?
26. How can you share your talents with the world?
27. Write a poem about responsibility.
28. Write about a time when it took you a really long time to learn something. How did you persevere through the lesson?
29. If you could visit any planet, which one would you like to see? Why?
30. How big is your extended family? How often do you see them?
31. What is your favorite part of the school day? Why?
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Kid Writing Ideas,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator