Kids Writing— Whether your students have written one journal entry or 100 journal entries, the practice of daily writing can have a positive impact on their lives. Journaling helps students to improve their writing skills and their critical thinking, as they take a topic and explore it from multiple angles.
The practice of writing also allows students to express their thoughts and feelings in a meaningful way. When students journal, they don’t have to worry about being judged or criticized for their ideas. They can instead reveal their deepest thoughts comfortably in a safe place.
These 58 new writing ideas for kids ages 7-14 will enthuse students and get them excited about writing. There’s something for everyone here, with questions ranging from silly daydreams about being a super-secret spy to deeper thoughts about sources of inspiration. Students can write letters to their future selves, or they can imagine what life might be like on another planet.
With a carefully-mixed batch of both lighthearted and serious questions, your students will be both entertained and educated. Invigorate their enthusiasm for writing with these new writing ideas and prompts!
Kids Writing | 58 Fabulous Ideas to Inspire
- In my __________ years of life, I’ve learned…
- How do you think being a kid today is different from your parents’ childhoods?
- What is the silliest thing you’ve ever done?
- I’ll know I’m grown up when…
- Who are your top three heroes?
- Write a story where someone makes an exciting discovery.
- Is it better to have a birthday close to Christmas or some other time during the year?
- What does it mean to be a friend?
- Write a story about life in 250 years.
- When is it hard to be a kid?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- What would you do if you got locked in the mall overnight?
- If you were a fly on the wall, what conversations would you want to hear?
- Write a poem about yourself.
- What is the most exciting place you’ve ever been?
- Who was your first best friend? What did you like to do together?
- What would a world without fighting look like?
- Where do you go when you need to think?
- What does it mean to be successful?
- When I think of my best friend, I feel…
- If you switched places with your mom or dad for a day, what would happen?
- What is your favorite animal? Why do you like this animal?
- Do you think humans will ever live anywhere besides Earth?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- The best day of the week is…
- How many states have you visited? What did you see during your travels?
- If I could travel back in time, I would go to…
- Who is the most inspirational person in your life?
- If there was a movie about your life, who would be in it?
- What is something adventurous you’d like to try?
- What do you do when you feel sad?
- The best thing about being a kid is…
- Imagine life as a super-secret spy and write about your adventures.
- Write a story about a wild camping adventure.
- Write a letter to your future self in ten years.
- My favorite thing to do on the weekends is…
- What is your favorite kind of weather?
- If I were a color, I would be…
- What adult privilege are you the most excited for? Driving? Voting? Staying up late?
- What is your greatest talent?
- What is your earliest memory?
- If you could go to any planet, which one would you visit?
- What is something exciting you’ve learned recently?
- Write about a time when you were proud of yourself.
- Could you ever live on a farm?
- Write a story about life during the Revolutionary War.
- What is the farthest place you’ve ever traveled to?
- Write a letter to your favorite author, explaining why you like his or her book.
- My favorite season is…
- Write a letter to someone you want to thank.
- Who is the smartest person you know?
- If someone wrote a book about my life, it would be called…
- What makes you happier than anything else?
- What do you think life is like as a zoo animal?
- If I could meet any celebrity, it would be…
- Do you think world peace is possible?
- My parents gave me the name __________ because…
- If you went deep sea diving, what would you look for?
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Kids Writing Ideas for Inspiration,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator