May Writing Prompts for Students — As the school year comes to a close, students get excited thinking about summer and all of the fun and relaxation ahead. The start of summer is also a great time to think about changes—the places students have been, the places they’re going, and all of the ways they are different now than when they started.
In these new journal prompts for the month of May, students will get creative as they think about the similarities and differences between various experiences. Each prompt asks students to compare and contrast two things that are seemingly different—and then, to consider the benefits of each one.
Though some instances may seem completely separate at first, students may find that there is more commonality between them than they first imagined. For instance, a student might not think that his best friend and favorite movie character have much in common—but upon further reflection, he’ll find that both individuals have a winning sense of humor. Next, students will think about the benefits of each item or experience. By looking for the good in things like Mondays, braces, and even the experience of waiting, students will practice positivity.
Each journal prompt is designed to draw out creativity, examination, and positivity in your students. Help students explore commonalities and contrasting qualities today!
30 Creative Writing Ideas about Similarities and Differences
Explore the similarities and differences between the following items. What are the benefits of each one?
- Mondays and Fridays.
- You and your best friend.
- Going swimming and falling in the pool.
- Being too cold and being too warm.
- Singing in the choir and singing in the shower.
- Books and computers.
- Your mom and your dad.
- Movie stars and athletes.
- Brushing your teeth and washing your hands.
- Recess and lunch.
- Eyeglasses and braces.
- Buying something with money you saved or money you received as a gift.
- Waking up early and going to bed early.
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and hamburgers.
- Falling asleep in your bed and falling asleep at the dinner table.
- Your best friend and your favorite movie character.
- Batman and Spiderman.
- Saturday afternoon and Sunday afternoon.
- Video games and movies.
- Ice cream with syrup, sprinkles, and candy and plain ice cream with no toppings.
- The mall and an online store.
- Cars and bicycles.
- Diamonds and gold.
- Your parents and your teacher.
- Wearing jeans and wearing pajama pants.
- The experience of waiting patiently and the experience of waiting impatiently.
- Roses and tulips.
- Racehorses and racecars.
- Your favorite television show and favorite movie.
- Giving a gift and receiving a gift.
- The last day of school and the first day of school.
Until next time, creatively write on!
If you enjoyed these May Writing Prompts about Similarities and Differences,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator