Looking for some great October writing prompts? Well, look no further as you have just discovered 31 fabulous ideas. With kids settled into their new classrooms, October is a great time to get to know your students a little better—and to help them get to know themselves. Journaling provides a powerful and safe space for students to explore their interests and their deepest beliefs. On the page, students can think aloud without fear of embarrassment or repercussions. As students journal, they become more comfortable expressing their own thoughts and often become more deeply aware of the things that matter most to them.
In these new writing prompts, students will get to focus on a favorite topic: themselves. They’ll think about their interests by writing on their favorite games, hobbies, and family members. Students will also have the chance to explore challenging topics like their fears and aspirations. As they write, they may discover new things about their interests that they didn’t realize before—or they may simply enjoy their daily journals a little more with the chance to write about topics dear to their hearts. If students feel comfortable sharing, they can also read their journals aloud, giving everyone the chance to get to know their classmates better.
Encourage students to claim their interests proudly in their journals this October!
October Writing Prompts: 31 Daily Writing Ideas for Kids
- Describe yourself to someone who has never met you.
- What is your earliest memory?
- What is your best subject in school? Why do you enjoy it?
- Which family member do you have the most in common with? What ways are you different from one another?
- Describe your bedroom, using all five senses. Use lots of descriptive words and specific details.
- If you could change any one thing about yourself, what would it be? Why?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself? Why do you like that trait?
- What is your greatest fear? Why?
- Compare yourself to an animal, plant, or movie character. What similarities do you share?
- What is your favorite song? How do you feel when you listen to it?
- Write about your family. What do they enjoy? What are they like?
- Share an embarrassing moment from your childhood. How do you feel when you reflect on it now?
- Write a letter to your future self of five years from now.
- Where does your family live? Do you enjoy living there? Why or why not?
- What do you want to be when you get older? What kind of schooling will you need in order to achieve your dream?
- What is your favorite part of the school day? Why do you enjoy it?
- What is the best game to play with friends? Why?
- What is the happiest place in the world? What makes it so wonderful?
- What is the best gift you’ve ever received? How did you thank the person who gave it to you?
- If you could go anywhere to do anything, what would you choose? Who would you take with you?
- What is your favorite thing to do by yourself? Is it relaxing or exciting?
- Would you rather be successful at a job you love or famous for a job that you don’t really enjoy?
- What is your favorite thing to do outdoors?
- What is the number one thing on your wish list right now? Why do you want it? How would you use it?
- What part of getting older are you most looking forward to? How will you celebrate when you reach it?
- Think about your first friend. Who was he or she? Where did you meet? What did you do together? How long were you friends? Why were you close?
- What is the best thing to do during a sleepover? Why?
- How have you changed the most in the past two years?
- What is your favorite time of the year? What do you like about it?
- Write about something that not many people know about you. Is it a secret or something that you’re proud of?
- What is your favorite Halloween costume?
Until next time, journal on…