Regardless of how much writing students are doing in their daily assignments, journal writing has a set of benefits entirely its own. Journaling helps students improve their writing skills, certainly – but it also helps them to think about topics in a new light and to explore their own feelings more deeply.
When students journal, they stretch their imaginations and explore their creativity. There are few limitations for journaling, which helps students feel more free and gives them a powerful vehicle for expression.
Here are some neat writing topics to inspire your kids to write!
31 New Writing Topics for Kids
1. Write a poem about happiness and how it feels.
2. Would you rather play basketball or football? Which sport is better suited to your talents?
3. Write about the best Christmas you ever had.
4. What is the hardest thing you’ve ever had to do? How did you accomplish it?
5. Do your parents have rules about your bedtime? Do you think they are good rules or not?
6. Have you ever had a nickname? Did it fit you? If not, what could your nickname be?
7. Write about your most unique quality.
8. Write a poem about winter’s coldness.
9. If you had a personal robot to do your chores or homework, what would you have it do?
10. What would you try to do if you knew you couldn’t fail at it?
11. Have you ever wanted something because your friends had it? How did you feel after you got it?
12. Write a poem about your favorite food.
13. If you could only have one type of music to listen to for an entire year, what band or singer would you choose? Why?
14. What is the best reward that someone could give you for a job well done? How would you feel if you received it?
15. What is your favorite thing to do in the snow?
16. Would you rather have a sweet treat or a salty snack?
17. Imagine that you discovered a new island. What would you call it? Would you move to it?
18. Which year of school in the future are you most looking forward to? Why?
19. Write a poem about a talking dog.
20. What are your favorite kinds of books? Why do you like them more than other genres?
21. Why do we need to protect our environment?
22. What would you do if you got locked in a toy store overnight?
23. Write about something that you’re thankful for. How can you show your thanks?
24. What is your favorite time of year? Why?
25. Write about the hardest test you ever took. How did you prepare? How did you feel when it was over?
26. What is your favorite thing to do during winter break?
27. Write about your favorite memory of something that happened at school.
28. Write a poem about the color green.
29. Write a story about someone your age who lives during the American Revolution.
30. How can you promote equality for all people?
31. Has anyone ever copied something that you did? How did it make you feel?
Until next time, write on…