For people of all ages, writing is a way to express themselves and stretch their imaginations. For some writers, creative writing is simply their way of relaxing — it’s often considered to be a form of therapy. For others, writing is an amateur hobby or a professional ambition.
Whether you are a writer who is new to the craft and just starting to explore your ideas, or you are a veteran writer who has been journaling your entire life, writing prompts can help you begin your next story.
Perhaps you are on the verge of your next great poem, of an adventurous short story or an epic novel. These writing prompts are perfect for writers of all ages, and they are the ideal place to begin your brainstorming process. Use them to start your next piece, and see where they lead you!
30 Writing Prompts for Every Type of Writer
- It all began a few years ago, when I met the person who would change my life completely…
- Write a short story in which red plays an important role throughout. Red could set the tone for the mood, for the symbolism or for the personality of the characters.
- In the story, the main character receives a dream catcher from a mysterious stranger. What happens next?
- The main character in your story is rushing to catch their flight, and they miss it by minutes. Explore how this small moment has a large impact on the outcome of the story.
- Write a journal entry about your greatest fear. Why are you afraid? Do you want to overcome this fear? How could you begin to overcome it?
- As I walked the length of the dock, I noticed that a boat was coming in. Soon, I realized that they were there, and we would be meeting again shortly…
- Write a scene for a play in which the two characters are attempting to overcome a major relationship issue. They may be friends working through a disagreement, lovers who are quarreling or family members who do not see eye-to-eye.
- Listen to your favorite song. Now, write a reflection about the song and how it relates to your life at this very moment.
- The character in your story owns the most beloved local restaurant in town. Write about the role that the restaurant plays in the community and the different characters who interact with the owner on a regular basis.
- Write a story about a celebrity and how their status impacts their outlook on life.
- Create a poem based on these three things: clouds, the color pink and fear.
- Write a haiku based on your last travel experience.
- Research a favorite time period in history and then complete a historical fiction short story based on that time period. You may include factual people, places and events, but use creative freedom throughout the story to give it a human element.
- If you could invent a machine, what would you create? Why would you invent this machine? How would it change the daily lives of people in today’s society?
- It was my first day on the job, and I was feeling nervous about it. I couldn’t believe that I had the opportunity to work as…
- It’s June again. Every time I turn the calendar to this month, a sense of dread fills me. It’s been 13 years…
- Write a science fiction short story that includes the following: a new planet, a budding relationship and a catastrophic event.
- Write a reflection about your best friend from childhood. Are you still in contact? Why or why not? What type of influence did this friend have on your life?
- Think about the largest decision you made in your life. Now, imagine that you made the opposite choice. Write about how your life would be different today.
- The main character in your story was featured in a photograph that went viral online. Did it change their life for better or for worse?
- Write a poem about your first heartbreak.
- Write a story about a brother and sister who have come together for the first time in two decades in order to plan their mother’s funeral.
- For your next journal entry, write about the next destination on your bucket list. When do you plan to go there? What do you want to do once you arrive?
- Imagine that you had the opportunity to relive your high school prom. Would you wear the same outfit? Would you bring the same date? Would you make different choices?
- Use the following elements for your next short story: A doctor, a mistaken identity and the scent of lilacs.
- What do you think is your best quality? Write a journal entry about why you love this aspect of yourself.
- Every night, the same dream came to me again and again. In the dream, I was…
- Do you feel your life has been too challenging or too simple? Write a reflection on this topic.
- Your main character is a photographer who is going on an African safari to photograph wildlife. While on the adventure, the character gets the shot of a lifetime…
- Play your parents’ favorite song and write a stream-of-consciousness journal entry while listening.
These are just a few writing ideas to help you get started. As you well know, the best thing you can do is keep on writing!
Until next time, keep on writing!
If you enjoyed these Writing Prompts for Every Type of Writer,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator