Story Starter Sentences— One of the most difficult parts of creative writing is actually getting a new piece started. It’s not always easy to come up with fresh ideas to hone your story writing skills and before you know it, you can waste 30 minutes looking at a blank piece of paper.
Even if you have an idea, coming up with that opening line to get you started is a challenge. The great news is once you get started the writing usually begins to flow.
Story starter sentences not only ignite your mind with great ideas, but they also give you an opening line to get you going so you don’t spend all your time trying to come up with an idea on your own.
We’ve made it easy for you by putting together a long list of story starter sentences to give you the inspiration you need to start on your next creative writing project.
51 Story Starter Sentences
- Suddenly, icy fingers grabbed my arm as I inched through the darkness.
- I suddenly found out that I was heir to a throne…
- She opened the letter and it said she’d won $100,000.
- When I flipped on the radio that night, I couldn’t believe the voice I heard coming through the speakers.
- I still remember the day I was born.
- There was a secret meeting in the morning and she absolutely had to be there.
- There was something about a music box that always made me think of home…
- I opened my eyes and had no idea where I was…
- He was heading back to the one place he hoped he’d never have to see again.
- Today she would find out if her entire life was a lie.
- Shaking, I grabbed his hand and said my goodbyes.
- A road trip was just the thing for me and my friends.
- I turned on the 10:00 pm news only to see one of the biggest secrets of my life playing out before my eyes.
- The roller coaster had stopped and we were left upside down…
- For months I’d been crying myself to sleep every night.
- We were supposed to meet each other on the Bay Bridge at midnight, but he never showed up.
- When I walked into the living room, huge bouquets of flowers were everywhere, but I had no idea how they got there.
- I’d been planning the perfect vacation for months, but then…
- There are only three of us left – the only three left alive in the world.
- The little girl turned to me and said, “The future of the world is up to you now”.
- At first, I thought it was only the dog making noise, but it was…
- It sounded like piano music and it was coming from my living room…
- She’d thought about this moment, imagined it, for years, but she’d never expected what happened…
- It all started when I accidentally picked up the wrong suitcase at the airport.
- The cab driver suddenly turned left instead of right and I had no idea where he was taking me.
- My boss had given his orders, but I knew what he was asking was illegal.
- She broke open the fortune cookie, but there was a map on the tiny slip of paper.
- The waitress walked over and whispered in my ear, “You have to leave because your life is in danger”.
- He decided to spy on his wife, but what he discovered wasn’t what he was expecting at all.
- She thought her boss was going to fire her, so she decided she’d fight back.
- He was tired of living in the retirement home, so he was planning an escape.
- There was a time years ago when I was happy, but those days were over.
- While I could see hundreds of stars in the sky, there was no moon that night.
- From the moment he walked into the casino, Lady Luck was on his side.
- The twins had a secret and they knew that no one could ever find out about it.
- Every time I heard the ice cream truck go by, I got scared.
- I was reading on the subway when all of a sudden, we stopped in the middle of a tunnel.
- I hadn’t planned on becoming a hostage at the bank when I got up that morning.
- My brother was in Afghanistan and I hadn’t heard anything from him for over a month.
- Walking down the long hallway to my boss’s office, I had no idea what he could want from me.
- The note said to go to hotel room #33 and I was hesitant to knock on the door.
- Every Tuesday at 3 pm, flowers were delivered to my house.
- As I flipped through the photo album, I couldn’t stop the memories from flooding back and the tears from filling my eyes.
- I had to go onstage in 15 minutes and my clothes were ripped and muddy.
- Time was running out and he had 11 more blocks to run.
- I had the same dream every night and it was scaring me.
- Every time the clock struck midnight, the entire house would go dark for 10 minutes.
- When she looked at her cellphone, she was shocked to see she had 33 voicemails.
- It was my first game to pitch in the majors and I could barely contain my excitement.
- The music was slowing, the song was almost over, but we couldn’t stop dancing.
- She’d been in labor for 48 hours and still no baby.
If you enjoyed these Story Starter Sentences,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator