25 Story Ideas for Writers— Regardless of where you are on your writing journey, it’s important that you take the time to practice and develop your writing skills. One way that you can hone your skills while still having fun is to write short stories. Short stories can last for just a page or two, or they can extend for a dozen or more pages. Regardless of how long you want your short story to be, you will need some good story ideas available to help you get started.
Story ideas are perfect for writers of all ages and stages because they give you a starting point to work with. They can help you stretch your imagination and consider a perspective that you might not have considered otherwise. For some people, story ideas give them the inspiration that they need in order to begin writing. For others, these ideas help them test out characters and explore plot concepts that they may include in a more extensive piece.
Teachers and parents also may want to consider story ideas and writing prompts for their students who are just learning how to become writers. Students often love the creative freedom that they have when writing their own stories, but they can benefit greatly from unique ideas that help them start the writing process.
From professional writers to students who are discovering the writer within themselves, everyone can benefit from story ideas that are designed to inspire. Story ideas can bridge the gap between all genres and writing styles and can serve an important purpose to writers of all skill levels.
Story Ideas for Writers Who Want to Grow
You can use these story ideas to assist you as you begin another writing journey!
- The main character has planned the trip of a lifetime after a difficult personal challenge. However, the trip does not go as planned.
- Two best friends who grew up together are reunited after spending 25 years apart. They are surprised to find out that one lasting connection between them stood the test of time.
- A student working for the school paper uncovers a mystery that will change everything at the school.
- The story begins with your main character running away. The character is stressed, anxious, and trying to survive.
- A character in your story uncovers an ancient artifact during an archeological dig. The artifact stirs up the connection between the planet Earth and a distant planet with alien life.
- On a whim, a character in your story buys a lotto ticket. They have no idea how this ticket will change their life.
- A group of friends in middle school decide to start a sustainability club to protect the planet. They uncover several challenges along the way as they attempt to make the world a better place.
- The protagonist in your story begins a new adventure by purchasing a camera and buying some plane tickets.
- The story begins when the character in your story gets her coffee paid for by a stranger.
- The story begins in the aftermath of a natural disaster that will change the course of history for one small, seemingly inconsequential town.
- The story takes place in two parts. The first part is during your main characters’ high school years. The second part takes place at one character’s funeral, 50 years later.
- Your main character attends a glittering ball but does not expect a murder to take place there that night.
- Your protagonist travels back in time, only to find that all of her family members from the future exist in the past as well.
- Your story takes place in the year 2100 when the evidence of climate change is clear. Your characters are working to stop the inevitable.
- Your character finds out that they were never really different from their father after all.
- Most fairy tales end when the marriage takes place. This story explores what happens after the couple begins their happily ever after.
- Your story is told from the perspective of two forest animals who discover an unlikely friendship.
- The characters in your story are children who find themselves living on the board of their favorite board game.
- The main character in your story is a teacher who meets a student who will change their life forever.
- Your story talks about the experiences of two college interns working at a local newspaper in the dying days of print journalism.
- The character in your story finds themselves in the middle of the crime scene, and they can’t remember if they were involved in the crime.
- Write a story about a character who has been diagnosed with a terminal illness, and decides to keep it a secret from everyone they know.
- Your story explores the romantic relationship of two people from completely different cultures, trying to bridge the divide between their families.
- Your character has an alien encounter, and then they have to convince their human friends on earth that it really happened.
- Your story is about mythical creatures and the intricate society that they have formed on their own.
Whether you want to use these story ideas to craft a short story, or you are hoping you can develop one of these ideas into your first novel, you will find that it’s easy to start your next project when you have the right inspiration available.
No matter which story idea you decide to use, you need to remember that the best thing you can do is to keep on writing!
Writing Resources and Links
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Story Ideas for Writers Who Want to Grow,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator