Picture Writing Prompts for Kids and a BONUS list of Funny Picture Writing Prompts — Hooray. You have just discovered some excellent visual writing prompts. Take a look now and enjoy!
Writing Adventures with Visual and Picture Writing Prompts
Get ready to experience a fun, creative adventure filled with incredible picture writing prompts. Yes, you can use these creative prompt to inspire your students to write in a way they haven’t done before. That’s because…
Picture writing prompts consist of an image — and sometimes a short sentence — to prompt a student to begin writing. They are a fun addition to any writing practice, and, best of all, kids love them.
Indeed, visual prompts are an incredible writing tool. And soon you’ll see some amazing hand-drawn and totally unique picture writing prompts for kids plus 15 fun AND funny picture writing prompts too.
Now, before I go on, here is a list of the excellent information in this blog post:
- How to Use Visual Writing Prompts
- 12 AMAZING Artists Drawn Picture Writing Prompts for Kids
- Writing Prompt Ideas for our 12 Amazing Writing Picture Prompts
- 15 Fabulous and FUNNY Picture Writing Prompts
- More Writing Resources for You to See
- 3 Key Benefits of Picture & Visual Writing Prompts
- 2 More Excellent Visual Writing Prompt Resources
- Visual Writing Prompts Guide and FAQs
How to Use Visual Writing Prompts
Children are getting their information from more interactive and engaging sources than ever before. This is part of the reason why visual prompts are so appealing to many young writers today. Indeed, visual prompts are a excellent tool to get those creative juices flowing for all your writers — visual ones and otherwise.
While tried-and-true writing prompt and journal topic lists help students explore new topics and express their own ideas, picture writing prompts are yet another unique and innovative way for you to inspire your kids to write an amazing story.
The process of using visual prompts is simple. Have the student look at the graphics, picture, or video and write a new story, poem, or essay inspired in the writer’s mind by the image.
Truly, it’s amazing to see all of the different ideas that bloom in children’s minds from just one image.
Get New Inspiration for Your Student Writing Assignments
Below, I’ll share with you 12 absolutely fabulous picture writing prompts that will spark your young writers’ and students’ imaginations. There is no doubt these ideas will support their writing creative process.
Take a good look at this picture writing prompt.
Now, one suggested prompt to go along with this picture is, “They flew away to start their journey…“.
Of course, that’s just one writing idea this picture prompt can inspire. What ideas does this image inspire in you and in your students?
Indeed, the prompt possibilities from visual images are endless. So keep that in mind. Of course, if you need help with prompts, I’ve got you covered.
Ok, let’s get to those…
12 AMAZING Artists Drawn Picture Writing Prompts for Kids
What a treasure these custom-drawn picture writing prompts are for students. While traditional story prompts and journal topics are useful, relevant, and timeless, picture writing prompts provide a variety of benefits to students (We’ll explore some top ones later on).
Ok, check out the creative and lovely animal-themed picture prompts shown below.
Yes! Visual writing prompts are a sweet writing resource for you to use in your writer’s next creative writing exercise.
Writing Prompt Ideas for our 12 Amazing Writing Picture Prompts
To go with these sweet picture prompt visuals, check out this list of writing prompt ideas. They are perfect for younger students and older ones alike and are sure to get your student’s creative juices flowing.
- Image 1 Prompt (Girl in headband): She placed the headband on her head and began to imagine…
- Image 2 Prompt (Lion with crown): The lion had been transformed. She was dreaming of another time and another place…
- # 3 Prompt (Bats): The bat family was just awakening, but they knew it would be an exciting night…
- Image 4 Prompt (Whales): The great migration was about to begin…
- Image 5 Prompt (Zebra): He was staring off into the distance. The zebra knew what he had to do next…
- # 6 Prompt (Elephant with bird on trunk): A surprising new friend had arrived. He had so much to share…
- Image 7 Prompt (Porcupine and cheetah): On the surface, they appeared to be enemies. But in truth, they were partners on a mission…
- # 8 Prompt (Moose): The journey had been long. As the moose looked back, it knew that there was still another adventure ahead…
- Image 9 Prompt (Sleeping animals): After a long day of exploring, it was time to rest. When they woke up, the animals would need to…
- Image 10 Prompt (Elephant running): The young elephant was so excited to see its mother once again…
- Image 11 Prompt (Elephant in water): The watering hole was his favorite place. He knew when he arrived, all of his other jungle friends would be there shortly. Together, they would…
- Image 12 Prompt (Lion roaring): The king of the jungle had an announcement to make…
You could use these ideas in your student’s journal writing, in your writing centers, assign them as homework, or simply encourage your learners to write different stories solo or in a small group setting (collaborative, shared journaling and/or story writing is so fun!).
The bottom line is that these kinds of pictures make for a meaningful writing activity that you can use to inspire your kids and get them to write.
Let’s Explore Some Funny Picture Writing Prompts
Picture prompts are a great way to help students get inspired to write, and I have some wonderful ones for you. You see, funny picture writing prompts can be a great way for students to get creative and come up with wonderful writing ideas.
All of the picture prompts shown below are humorous and are meant to help get your students engaged in and excited about writing.
There is a nice variety of themed writing prompts covered with our funny picture prompts, and I am beyond thrilled to share them with you. Take a look and enjoy!
15 Fabulous and FUNNY Picture Writing Prompts
I hope these funny picture writing prompts hit your funny bones and get you writing and having loads of fun with your creative writing activities.
Ok, without further ado… here are those fun picture prompts.
Funny Picture Prompt #1
Hehehehe… I have a silly secret to share with you…
Funny Picture Prompt #2
Write a funny short story about this food character.
Funny Prompt #3
We took this silly selfie when we were…
Funny Picture Prompt #4
When I look at these two laughable faces…
Funny Picture Prompt #5
All my life I’ve wanted to go snorkeling, but…
Funny Picture Prompt #6
This laughing zebra is a perfect funny story starter!
Funny Picture Prompt #7
Ahhhh… this feels so good. Wait, what is happening to my body?
Funny Picture Prompt #8
Please, please, PLEASE let me lick your face. I promise if you do I’ll…
Funny Picture Prompt #9
Write a list of 10 jokes about this cute and funny food picture prompt.
Funny Picture Prompt #10
Oh no, that hand is taking Fred. We have to save ourselves! Quick let’s…
Funny Picture Prompt #11
You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me!
Funny Picture Prompt #12
Holy moly!! The world’s money supply has been replaced with chocolate chip cookies!
Photo courtesy of Gratisography
Funny Picture Prompt #13
Oh my goodness, life is…
Photo courtesy of Gratisography
Funny Picture Prompt #14
Mmmm… Mmmmm…. mmm…. where have you been my whole life.
Photo courtesy of Gratisography
Funny Picture Prompt #15
I get the giggles when I look at this picture because…
Photo courtesy of Gratisography
I hope you enjoy and use this list of fun picture writing prompts.
More Writing Resources for You to See
- 38 Funny Writing Prompts for All Ages
- 35 Humor Writing Prompts for Tweens and Teens
- Prompt Generator with 800+ Ideas
- 7 Creative Writing Exercised to Unlock Your Imagination
- Descriptive Writing Prompts for Kids Plus you’ll find a Teacher’s Guide here.
3 Key Benefits of Picture & Visual Writing Prompts
The benefits include:
- Giving students more freedom to come up with their own stories and ideas. Some written story prompts can be limiting and can point students in a particular direction as they begin their short story. Picture writing prompts allow students to ponder the image and come up with the story that they think works best with the picture they have been given.
- Allowing students to use different resources to develop their creative writing skills. Picture writing prompts are particularly beneficial for those who find themselves struggling to master their writing skills. They may be more visual and may find visual writing prompts to be a better starting point for their written word.
- Encouraging students to incorporate writing into every aspect of their lives. Writing should not be limited to an English or literature classroom. With visual writing prompts, teachers can remind students that the inspiration for writing can be around every corner.
If you enjoyed these picture writing prompts but need more then you can…
Discover More Artist-Made Picture Writing Prompts
Remember the cute animal-themed picture writing prompts showed you above? Well..
Those 12 visual prompts are just a few of the incredible picture writing prompts by Denise that you can use with your students.
If you are like me and can’t get enough of these incredible illustrations and visual prompt ideas then you’re in luck!
There are many more to discover. Here’s how you can see more images to use for your next creative writing exercise in your classroom.
===> See more Denise Cassano Picture Writing Prompts <===
2 More Excellent Visual Writing Prompt Resources
1. Additional Resources for Using Picture Writing Prompts
Sometimes, you may want to complement your picture writing prompt lesson with a worksheet that can help teach students to use these prompts in a variety of ways. This free printable worksheet is a wonderful resource to enhance your visual writing prompt lesson plan.
2, Ready for More Multimedia Prompts? Consider a Video Writing Prompt
If you found that picture writing prompts were the perfect addition to your classroom curriculum, then be sure to keep building off of this lesson plan. Also, be sure to consider using a video writing prompt to help inspire your students to write.
Here is one of our favorite video prompt ideas created by Denise. Take a look!
A Few Final Visual Prompt Resources
- More Video Writing Prompts
- Funny photos to write about
- 160 Photo Prompts for Your Creative Writing Lessons
No matter which tools and resources you prefer to use in your classroom, just remember to have your students keep on writing!
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Picture Writing Prompts,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator
Hooray…here is some excellent BONUS information on using picture writing prompts for inspiration.
Visual Writing Prompts Guide and FAQs
Writing is an important skill to master. It helps kids develop their imagination and creativity. It also helps them with their reading comprehension and improves their language skills.
The best way to get kids hooked on writing is by making it fun for them, and creative writing prompts with pictures are a great way to do just that! Obviously, a great way of doing that is by giving them a picture prompt to write about. Luckily, there are many such prompts available right here for you to get your students writing.
Our collection of picture prompts is good for middle school students, first graders, and even adult writers.
But, if you need even more ideas, then take a look at these…
Picture Writing Prompts Theme Ideas
Here are some great theme ideas for finding more picture writing prompts:
- Pet/Funny Animal Picture Writing Prompts
- Funny places on Earth
- The 5 Senses
- Seasons / Weather
- Silly Things to Do
- Family / Friends
- Things to Think About
- Things People are Famous For
- Places We Like To Go
- Things to Think About
- Things to Remember
- Vacation Adventure Pictures
Do a quick Google images search for any one of these theme ideas and viola! … instant picture writing prompts for you and your writers.
Funny Picture Writing Prompts are a Fabulous Writing Tool
Picture writing prompts are a fun way to help students who are struggling with writer’s block. They can also be a fun way for students to get creative and come up with new story ideas.
Of course, some picture prompts are funny, while others are more serious. Either way, these prompts can help to get the creative juices flowing.
One great thing about using picture prompts is that they can help to break up the monotony of writing. So if you find your students are stuck in a rut, picture prompts can help them get out of it and start producing new material.
Additionally, picture prompts can be used as part of a class assignment or as something that students do on their own time.
There are many different ways to use picture writing prompts. Sometimes, it’s helpful to have students write a story based on the picture prompt. Another great way to use picture writing prompts is as a creative writing assignment. Students can write their own stories and then use the prompt for more inspiration.
The bottom line is that picture writing prompts are a great way to get students working on their creative skills and they provide teachers with many ways of teaching creative writing techniques.
What are funny picture writing prompts?
Picture prompts are a fun way to get your creativity flowing when you’re feeling stuck. They can also help loosen you up so that your writing is less formal and more playful.
Here are three reasons why using picture prompts can be helpful for your writing:
1. Picture prompts provide inspiration. For some writers, when staring at a blank page, it can be difficult to come up with an idea to write about. However, if you have a picture prompt to work from, it can give you the inspiration you need to start writing.
2. They help you get in the mood for writing. Sometimes all it takes is seeing the right picture to get a writer into the right mood for writing. Perhaps the picture prompts will spark a brand new and unique story idea to write about or the picture might just be a reminder of a story read or heard recently which could also serve as a creative muse.
3. Picture prompts keep you focused. When writing, it can be easy to think about and get distracted by other things. A picture prompt can help keep a writer focused on their writing assignment, this is especially so for those who are more visual learners.
Ok, now let’s explore…
Why Use Funny Picture Writing Prompts?
The truth is that a too many students find it difficult to write. They are often unmotivated, and the process is not easy for them. This is why…
The top reason to use funny picture writing prompts is that they are fun!
Whether your writers use these visual prompts for story prompts, story writing inspiration, or to create an entry in their journal, just use them. And, have tons of fun doing so.
One way to make writing easier for these students is by using funny picture prompts, and above, I shared some wonderful ones with you. I hope you use them with your writers.
Another great thing about using picture prompts is that they can help to break up the monotony and bring some new energy to writing assignments. You see…
When students are stuck in a rut, picture prompts can help them get out of it and start producing new material. Additionally, picture prompts can be used as part of a class assignment or as something that students do on their own time.
There are many different ways to use picture writing prompts. Sometimes, it’s helpful to have students write a story based on the picture prompt.
Finally, yet another great way to use picture writing prompts is as a creative writing assignment. Students can write their own stories and then use the prompt as inspiration. Picture writing prompts are an excellent tool to get students working on their creative skills and they provide teachers with many ways of teaching creative writing techniques. They can get your writer’s creativity flowing and are especially helpful for those reluctant writers or those who are struggling with writer’s block.
Now, let’s quickly explore…
A Top Benefit of Using Funny Picture Writing Prompts
Yeppers… A TOP benefit of using funny picture writing prompts is that they can be more enjoyable than regular writing activities and they engage reluctant writers more easily.
The use of humor can also help with grading because teachers can tell which student has put in more effort just by looking at their piece of work.
Again, above I shared some excellent funny picture writing prompts that teachers can use in the classroom.
These prompts will help to make writing easier for students who find it difficult. They also make the process more fun and engaging.
How do I Find More Sources of Funny Picture Writing Prompts?
We could only share so many funny pictures here with you, so if you need more writing prompts that will help get your kids writing. Check out these ideas:
1. Search for funny picture prompts online. There are many websites that offer this type of resource. Some of our favorites include Pinterest, Tumblr, and Instagram.
2. Use memes as writing prompts. Memes are a great way to get started because they already have a funny caption or text attached to them. Plus, they’re easy to find online.
3. Flip through magazines for inspiration. Sometimes it’s fun to look at photos in magazines and see if anything sparks an idea for a writing prompt.
4. Check out photo websites like Flickr and 500px for inspiration.
This list of suggestions will help you find more funny photos, memes, and more online resources. Yay! You’re sure to find the perfect prompt to help you write that story, essay, or poem.
Alrighty…That’s all for this visual writing guide. Thanks for reading.