Yes! We have creative writing prompts for kids here. Loads of them, too. And, I’m pretty sure you’re going to love what you see. So keep on reading to discover more. You see…
Journal keeping is a powerful activity for kids that can encourage them to open their minds to new possibilities and to become more comfortable expressing their own thoughts and opinions. To support your writers, we have compiled a wonderful list of fun and imaginative writing prompts.
However, for many students, getting started is the hardest part. For a student who is not used to writing, learning how to press the pen to the page when inspiration isn’t readily flowing can be an extreme challenge.
Why Use Creative Writing Prompts for Kids and Students
Enter our wonderful list of creative writing prompts kids!
Fortunately, the right writing prompts can help a kid who feels “stuck” to move past the writer’s block and channel his or her inner creative genius. Though there are all sorts of journal prompts that can get kids thinking and writing, some of the most effective are those that are silly and lighthearted.
A fun creative writing prompt puts less pressure on a young student than those prompts that are more thoughtful and reflective—and in many cases, can be all that a child needs to stop feeling stuck and start feeling inspired.
200+ FREE Creative Writing Prompts for Kids and Students
Here are sample prompts and links to 200+ creative writing prompts for kids.
65 Creative Writing Prompts
Here are sample prompts from this article:
- What is your favorite thing to do on vacation?
- If your pet could talk, what would he or she say?
- Do you ever donate money to people in need?
- If you had an invisible magic helper, what would you have him or her do?
- Write about a time when you shared with someone.
- What is the best decision you ever made?
- If you were a movie director, what kind of movies would you make?
- What is your favorite holiday? Why?
- If you could do anything right now, what would you do?
- If you hosted a radio show, what would it be called?
- Write a short summary of the last book you read.
- Do you use Facebook? Why or why not?
- What does it mean to be a good friend?
- Which of the birds in Angry Birds is your favorite?
62 More Creative Writing Prompts
Here are sample writing ideas from this article:
- Write a story in which you are a mini marshmallow in a cup of hot chocolate.
- What is the best kind of breakfast food?
- Write about your favorite sports team.
- Which Harry Potter house would you be in—Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin?
- If you were a Harry Potter character, who would you be?
- What would you do if you lived on a farm?
- Have you ever done something that you regretted later?
- Write about a person you respect.
- What is something you’d like to learn more about?
- Are you especially close with anyone in your family?
- Think of a book that you didn’t like very much. How would you have made it better?
- How do you stay warm during the winter?
- What is your favorite thing on the Internet?
61 Fabulous Creative Writing Prompts
Here are sample ideas to write about from this article:
- What is your favorite thing to shop for?
- Have you ever gone to a concert? What bands did you see?
- What is the best sound in the world?
- What is the best sight in the world?
- What is the best smell in the world?
- What is the best taste in the world?
- What is the best feeling in the world?
- Write an apology to a classmate that you should have been nicer to.
- Do you listen to the radio?
- Write about something you’re looking forward to.
- If you were a Disney princess, who would you be?
- Think about some privileges you have that others don’t. How do you feel?
- What is your favorite treat at the movies?
63 More Creative Writing Prompts for Kids
Here are sample writing prompts from this article:
- Write a story about your pet taking an adventure after you’ve left the house.
- What is your favorite carnival ride?
- Have you ever flown on an airplane? What was it like?
- Why do countries go to war?
- How do you feel when the leaves change?
- If you were a professional singer, what genre would you sing?
- Have you ever had a scary dream and laughed about it later?
- Write a poem about fall.
- What was your favorite toy as a kid?
- If you could be a dinosaur, which kind would you be?
- What is your favorite thing to do outside?
- Write about a memory that makes you happy.
- How can you give back to your community?
Tools to Support Creative Writing
While journaling is certainly a good way to help kids improve their writing skills, it also allows them a new method of expression. Through journaling, students learn how to consider ideas from new angles and come up with creative, new ways of thinking.
Best of all, a student’s journal is a safe place where they can write freely without the fear of embarrassment or judgment.
Journal keeping is a fantastic tool you can use to encourage the kids in your life to practice and refine their creative writing skills. We think this is simply fantastic and hope you do too!
10 Fun & Creative Writing Prompts for Kids
- Saturday mornings are great for…
- People like me because_____
- If you were principal of this school, what would you do?
- If you were a mouse in your house in the evening, what would you see your family doing?
- What do you like about where you live?
- Apples are fun to eat. List things that you can do with apples.
- If I could go around planting a fruit it would be… Tell me why.
- As the clock struck twelve…
- If I could fly…
- There were three __________ (ghosts, monsters, wild animals…) and they….
With questions that promote expanded possibilities, students can stretch the limits of reality. Through journaling, a student also develops a deeper understanding of the unique preferences that define him or her as an individual.
It’s important for students to have regular time to dedicate to their writing practice and writing prompts are a great way to ignite their creative minds. We hope you enjoy using the prompts on our blog with your students.
Creative Writing Links
- 65 Creative Writing Prompts
- Best Creative Writing Prompts & Ideas
- Printable Creative Writing Worksheets
Until next time, creatively write on…
If you enjoyed these Creative Writing Prompts for Kids,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator