Creative Writing Prompts for Students: 65 Fabulous Ideas— This is the first in a series of four articles of creative writing prompts and ideas. In total, we will share with you 251 prompts for kids, so stay tuned!!!
Between memorizing math facts and learning about American history, it’s important for students to have regular time for writing.
Journal prompts are a great way to get kids’ minds going, as a short question or idea can inspire all kinds of imaginative reflections and creative solutions. With questions that promote expanded possibilities, students can stretch the limits of reality. Through journaling, a student also develops a deeper understanding of the unique preferences that define him or her as an individual.
After writing on a variety of topics, students will be excited to continue exploring. Fuel their curiosity with this series of all new creative writing prompts!
65 Fabulous Creative Writing Prompt Ideas for Kids
- If you could build a dream house, what rooms would it have?
- Write a story about going on an adventure with your best friend.
- Who has the best job in the world?
- Where do you get your best ideas?
- Do women today have equal rights with men?
- Have you ever volunteered to help someone? What did you do?
- What is your favorite thing to write?
- Imagine that you are stuck inside a TV. What will you do? What shows would you visit?
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
- Would you rather be an animal or a toy?
- What is the most important thing you’ve learned in school?
- If you invented a celebration dance, what would it be called? What would it look like?
- Do you want to get married someday? Why or why not?
- What does it mean to be an optimist?
- Do you consider yourself to be an optimist or a pessimist?
- If you designed a video game, what would it be called?
- What is an issue that our world needs to work on?
- What is the last movie you saw in a theater?
- If you could learn any language, which one would you choose?
- What is your birthstone? Does it represent your personality well?
- What are three things that you could never live without?
- What is your favorite food?
- Who is your favorite actor?
- Which type of natural disaster is the scariest?
- Would you rather be really big or really tiny?
- Do you think you’ll go to college someday? Why or why not?
- What is your favorite thing to do on vacation?
- If your pet could talk, what would he or she say?
- Do you ever donate money to people in need?
- If you had an invisible magic helper, what would you have him or her do?
- Write about a time when you shared with someone.
- What is the best decision you ever made?
- If you were a movie director, what kind of movies would you make?
- What is your favorite holiday? Why?
- If you could do anything right now, what would you do?
- If you hosted a radio show, what would it be called?
- Write a short summary of the last book you read.
- Do you use Facebook? Why or why not?
- What does it mean to be a good friend?
- Which of the birds in Angry Birds is your favorite?
- Think of three crazy food combinations. Would you ever eat any of these?
- Do you prefer 2D or 3D animated movies? Why?
- If you could have any superpower, what would you like to be able to do?
- Write a story about a flock of rainbow-colored flamingoes.
- How many hours do you spend watching TV per week?
- What does tradition mean to you?
- Who is the scariest Disney villian?
- If you were a crayon, what color would you be?
- If you were trapped in an igloo during a snowstorm, what would you want to have with you?
- If penguins could talk, what do you think they would have to say?
- Write about one of your earliest memories.
- Write a letter thanking someone who has helped you recently.
- What is your favorite time of day?
- Who is your favorite video game character?
- What is the hardest thing you’ve ever done?
- What is your favorite thing to do on the computer?
- If you were a farm animal, which kind would you be?
- Would you rather have winter or summer weather every day?
- Should a woman take her husband’s last name when she gets married?
- If you were a toy, what kind would you be?
- Does your family go to church? How do you feel when you are there?
- If you could have any new technological device, which would you choose? Why?
- Write about a time when you were really surprised.
- Have you ever saved money for something important you wanted? Did you meet your goal?
- Do you like lectures or class discussions better? Why?
Links to More Creative Writing Prompts for Kids:
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Creative Writing Prompts for Kids,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator