Elementary Writing Prompts: 49 Story Starters & Writing Ideas for Elementary Kids— Writing skills are so important—and yet so often go overlooked in the classroom, particularly when students are young. That’s why we believe it’s never too early to get kids interested in writing… or to show them what a fun, rewarding activity it can be!
One of the best ways to show kids how enjoyable writing can be is to encourage them to use their imaginations to tell their own stories. With that in mind, we’ve put together 49 fresh story starters and elementary writing prompts that are sure to get young minds turning!
As they imagine make-believe worlds and reflect on their own viewpoints, kids will learn how valuable their own thoughts and feelings truly are. And most importantly, they’ll develop their writing and communication skills as they commit these feelings to the pages of their journals.
These elementary writing prompts are perfect for young writers who may be just learning about things like structuring paragraphs and conveying ideas in a logical manner. They’re also great fun for students who are still warming up to the idea of regular writing practice, as they offer plenty of room for their imaginations to shine!
Elementary Writing Prompts and Story Starters for Kids
Enjoy these fun creative writing prompts and story starters for elementary school kids—and the joy of watching your students’ creativity come to life!
- Imagine that you can become invisible whenever you wanted to. What are some of the things you would do?
- I am very proud because…
- If I were President, I would…
- If I were a turtle living in a pond, I would…
- I am afraid to __________, because…
- Name one thing you do really well. Give lots of details telling why.
- What is your favorite room in your home and why?
- Describe what it means to be a good neighbor.
- What is your favorite time of day? Why?
- Describe your best day ever.
- How do you deal with people who bug you?
- What excites you?
- Describe your favorite hobby.
- What is your favorite quote by a famous person? Why?
- What is your favorite song and why?
- Climbing trees is…
- I wish trees could __________ because…
- I want to be a __________ when I grow up. Then I will…
- I wish there were a law that said…
- I wish I could forget the time I __________ because…
- I wish I could do __________ because…
- Older people are…
- Younger people are…
- The most perfect place in the whole wide world is __________ because…
- What makes you feel sad? Why?
- What makes you feel happy? Why?
- What can you do to help yourself feel better when you’re feeling blue?
- Name your favorite book and why?
- If I were a raindrop, I’d…
- What I know about rabbits is that…
- If I were an Easter egg…
- For lunch today…
- Pretend that you can fly whenever you want. Where would you go?
- Pretend that there is no such thing as television, the Internet, or video games. What do you do with all your time?
- My favorite stuffed animal or toy is…
- Imagine if cows gave green juice instead of milk! What would the world look like?
- Imagine that all the streets are rivers. How do you get around?
- What would happen if it really did rain cats and dogs?
- If I were a snake, I’d…
- Use descriptive words like amazing, incredible, outrageous, super-fun, or mind-blowing in your journal entry.
- If I could choose a different name, I would choose…
- Let’s go __________. Describe your adventure.
- Write a letter to your mom, dad, friend, cousin, or classmate.
- What would happen if animals could talk?
- What questions would you like to ask animals and what would their answers be?
- What would you do if you were in the middle of the lake and your boat springs a leak?
- What would you do if you suddenly woke up in another country and no one could understand a word you said?
- Write a poem about your favorite person, animal, or place.
- What is your dream vacation?
More Elementary Writing Resources
- 53 Writing for Fun Journal Prompts
- Writing Prompts for Elementary Kids
- 60 Fictional Story Ideas to Spark Your Imagination
- 16 Visual Writing Prompts
I am always looking to expand my listing of journaling prompts and would love to hear your ideas. I invite you to email me if you have ideas you’d like me to add to this list of elementary writing prompts.
May your student’s journaling adventure be filled with joy, fun, and creativity.
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Elementary Writing Prompts,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator