Story Starters & Writing Ideas for Elementary Kids—
Oh the many joys of journaling! I love to write about journaling tips, creative journaling, and journal writing techniques. But I am most often asked for a listing of journaling topics and prompts.
Writing in a journal is one of my very favorite activities, and I hope it is one of your student’s favorite activities, too.
Personally, I am rarely at a loss for something to write about in my journal, but many people need some help to get them started writing. This seems to be the case, especially for elementary kids. This is why writing prompts are so helpful to them.
Before we get to those writing ideas and prompts for elementary grade students, I have some news to share with you. Recently, I made a video about 25 Innovative Journaling Ideas for Kids. Here it is. Take a look! 😀
Elementary Writing and Journal Prompts and Story Starters for Kids
So, without further ado… here’s an amazing list of elementary writing prompts and writing starters for your students!
- Imagine that you can become invisible whenever you wanted to? What are some of the things you would do?
- I am very proud because…
- If I were President I would…
- If I were a turtle living in a pond, I would …
- I am afraid to________ because
- Name on thing you do really well? Give lots of details telling why.
- What is your favorite room in your home and why?
- Describe what it means to be a good neighbor?
- What is your favorite time of day? Why?
- Describe your best day ever?
- How do you deal with people who bug you?
- What excites you?
- Describe your favorite hobby.
- What is your favorite quote by a famous person? Why?
- What is your favorite song and why?
- Climbing trees is…
- I wish trees could ___________ because….
- I want to be a ________ when I grow up. Then I will….
- I wish there were a law that said…..
- I wish I could forget the time I ___________ because….
- I wish I could do ___________ because…..
- Older people are…
- Younger people are…
- The perfect place in the whole wide world is ___________ because …
- What makes you feel sad? Why?
- What makes you feel happy? Why?
- What can you do to help you feel better when you’re feeling blue?
- Name your favorite book and why?
- If I were a raindrop, I’d …
- What I know about rabbits is that
- If I were an Easter egg…
- For lunch today…
- Pretend that you can fly whenever you wanted. Where would you go?
- Pretend that there is no such thing as television, the Internet, or video games. What do you do with all your time?
- My favorite stuffed animal or toy is…
- Imagine if cows gave green juice instead of milk! What would the world look like?
- Imagine that all the streets are rivers? How do you get around?
- What would happen if it really did rain cats and dogs?
- If I were a snake, I’d …
- Use descriptive words like amazing, incredible, outrageous, super-fun or mind-blowing in your journal entry.
- If I could choose a different name, I would choose…
- Let’s go _______________. Describe your adventure.
- Write a letter to your Mom, Dad, friend, cousin, classmate.
- What would happen if animals could talk?
- What questions would you like to ask animals and what would their answers be?
- What would you do if you were in the middle of the lake and your boat springs a leak?
- What would you do if you suddenly woke up in another country and no one could understand a word you said! What would you do?
- Write a poem about your favorite person, animal, or place.
- What is your dream vacation?
I am always looking to expand my listing of journaling prompts and would love to hear your ideas. I’d invite you to add to this list of elementary writing prompts by posting your comment below!
May your student’s journaling adventure be filled with joy, fun, and creativity.
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Story Starters & Writing Ideas for Elementary Kids,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator