Short Story Writing Ideas for Kids— Use these fun, creative short story writing ideas for students in your classroom or homeschool curriculum. These short story ideas will help your students get started and will give them the foundation they need in order to begin writing a one-of-a-kind story that won’t be told by anybody else!
Writing is the one skill that can be applied to nearly every career, profession, and industry. Even math, science and engineering experts need to have excellent communication skills in order to do their job well! Teachers in all grade levels and all subject areas can use creative writing in order to enhance the skills of their students and improve their understanding of a given topic.
Short stories are a wonderful way to get your students thinking creatively about a given situation or a particular subject matter. By assigning them a short story, you are giving them an opportunity to explore their own imaginations while also encouraging them to think critically about the current topic being studied in the classroom.
Ok, without further ado, here are those short story writing ideas fo young writers!
Short Story Ideas for Students
- Your story begins with two students inside the school, a note from the principal and a fish bowl. You must incorporate all of these elements into your short story.
- You and your best friend go to the local diner after school for a milkshake. Once you arrive, you stumble upon a mysterious note from your teacher. In your story, include what the note from the teacher says, and create a tale about what happens after the note is discovered.
- You walk into the cafeteria one day for lunch, only to discover that your two best friends are in an argument. What is the argument about, and how are you going to help them solve it?
- Write a story from the perspective of an animal at the local shelter. What type of animal is your main character going to be? Will your character go home with a family, or make friends at the shelter? Discuss the animal’s experience and how the animal might be feeling.
- You are babysitting two kids after school, and it’s a spooky, stormy night. You hear a loud crash… and your story begins. Write about what happens throughout the evening, and create a story about your adventures as a responsible babysitter.
- You just received the biggest surprise of your life. What is the surprise? Do you love it or hate it? Write a story that clearly states what the surprise is, and how your character reacts to that surprise.
- You walk onto the playground after school. You have two choices in front of you: You can join your three oldest friends by the swings, or you can meet up with your three new friends under the pavilion. Write a story about the choice that you make and the things that happen as a result of your decision.
- Create a character that is going to run for public office. What position will your character be seeking? What are the goals and priorities that your character will promote during his or her campaign? What challenges will your character encounter along the way? Write a story about that election, and don’t forget to include the results!
- You didn’t think you believed in fairytales anymore until the impossible happened. Write a story about your favorite childhood fairytale that has come to life — right within your own hometown!
- You have boarded a plane in order to embark on your dream vacation. However, when you are already en route, you realize that you are heading to a completely different destination than you expected. Write a story about where you end up, and what happens to you once you arrive.
- Write a story about a character who is the complete opposite of you. Tell about your character’s personality and passions, and give them an adventure to enjoy in the tale.
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Short Story Ideas for Students,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator