As students transition from elementary school to middle school, they frequently become more adept at expressing their own thoughts and ideas—and in many cases, also even more eager to do so! Nurture this important skill in your students with our set of 30 all-new 5th-grade opinion writing prompts.
While your students consider writing topics ranging from the potential existence of aliens to the meaning of adulthood, they’ll be asked to stretch their minds and their critical thinking skills in order to form and then argue their own opinions. One of the most important things your students should learn during this opinion writing exercise is that it’s not enough to simply have an opinion—you also need to be able to support it if you want to bring anyone around to your side.
Use these fifth grade opinion writing prompts to get your kids thinking about new issues they may have never considered before—and to help them learn exactly what it takes to justify those opinions and persuade others to share their thoughts!
30 5th Grade Opinion Writing Prompts to Promote Expression and Ideas
- What is the best thing about living in America?
- Would you rather be the smartest, kindest, or funniest person in the class? Why?
- What is the most effective way to help people less fortunate than yourself?
- Is it important for kids to learn about current events?
- Which would you rather have: money, success, or fame?
- Should some sports, toys, or activities be restricted only to boys or only to girls? Why or why not?
- What school subject is most important for kids to learn?
- Should students have to wear uniforms? Why or why not?
- Should parents be held accountable for things their children do wrong?
- What is the greatest challenge your parents face each day?
- What does it mean to be an adult?
- What is the best place in the world to live?
- In what way will the world be most different 30 years from now?
- Would you rather give a gift or receive a gift?
- What is the most entertaining show on TV today?
- If you could choose another time period to live your entire life in, which would you choose? Why?
- Should students be required to take physical education classes?
- What is the most important quality of a good friend?
- Is it better to have siblings or to be an only child?
- Which would you rather have: talent or skill?
- Do you believe aliens exist?
- What is the hardest job in the world?
- What is one thing that anyone in the world would be truly happy to have?
- Do you receive too much, too little, or the right amount of homework?
- What is the best animal to have as a pet?
- Do you feel like homework actually impacts your learning?
- If you could become friends with any one person in the world, who would you choose? Why?
- Should it be mandatory for students and their families to participate in school fundraisers? Why or why not?
- If you could change any one thing about the world, what would you change?
- Do people have a responsibility to help other people who are less fortunate than they are?
Until next time, keep on writing!
If you enjoyed these Opinion Writing Prompts for 5th Grade,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator