5th Grade Journal Prompts and writing ideas for kids, teachers, and homeschoolers— Fresh journal prompts are always a great inspiration for students, whether they’ve been writing for years or just starting out. Yeppers, it’s true…
We have a fantastic list of 5th grade journal prompts that I think you and your writers are going to love.
Best of all…
You get complete access to these journal prompts and writing ideas for free. Plus… I made a video recently of this list of writing ideas for fifth graders and hope you get a chance to watch it.
Fifth Grade Writing Prompts and Journal Ideas
Journaling helps students work out problems on paper, create new ideas, and work through strong feelings and emotions in a constructive way. It also provides an outlet for students to experiment creatively with their writing style and to develop a process of healthy, daily reflections.
For 5th graders, journaling is also a great tool to encourage students to share thoughts and ideas with one another. Plus, it’s an awesome tool to help students build the invaluable foundational skills that will serve them for a lifetime.
Now, we’ve put together a list of seventy-two wonderful and free 5th grade writing prompts.
You see, these prompts aim for imagination and the process of ideas, but also will encourage students to think about their outside world and what goes on in their communities. There are prompts that help students think about their interests and goals.
No matter what their individual interests may be, these 5th-grade writing prompts are sure to be a positive addition to the day for every student! Sit back, relax, and watch as your students fall in love with the ideas and inspiration that only journaling can bring.
Yeppers… if you need prompts and topics for your fifth graders, you are in luck because we have a fabulous list of ideas. You can use them in writing assignments, have your students create a journal entry with them, or perhaps use them for inspiration for an essay. Here is that list of ideas and topics to inspire your 5th-grade students this school year. Enjoy!
72 Fantastic 5th Grade Journal Prompts
- My best day ever
- Recycling is important because…
- My greatest accomplishment
- If I lived in a different country
- What would it be like to be a foreign exchange student?
- Once, I was worried about trying __________, but afterward _________
- Something I’d be scared to try
- If I could live in any different century…
- I’m happy I’m an only child/older child/younger child because…
- The best book I ever read
- If I was the president, I would ______
- I think high school will be like
- If I could drive, I would go…
- The science fair
- An awesome invention
- The homework machine
- The best grade I ever got
- My favorite thing on the Internet
- People should…
- Getting ready for middle school
- What I like about my neighborhood
- Getting lost in an invisible maze
- Finding a cave inside a tree
- The best thing to do on Halloween
- Good sportsmanship
- Traveling inside a volcano
- A trip to the museum
- A message in a bottle
- Creating a new recipe
- Living on a 5-star island resort
- Building an underground base
- If I had a radio talk show
- Donating to charity is important because…
- The benefits of a water-powered or an electric engine
- Planting trees
- Silly hats
- Getting lost in the mall
- Spinning in a tornado
- Tightrope walking
- If I could visit any historical landmark…
- The time I was most scared
- The funniest thing that ever happened to me
- The best advice I ever received
- The most influential person in my life
- I was surprised when __________
- Journaling is important because…
- A month with no computers
- My biggest goal
- Trying out for a team
- The best kind of weather is…
- Something I could never lose
- In ten years, I will ____________
- My dream job
- Who should win the election
- My favorite way to learn
- If they made a movie about my life, ______ would play me
- Living in an underground city…
- My favorite author
- If I could do one thing to make the world a better place, I would…
- Trying new things is…
- Remembering dreams
- When I need a quiet place, I go ______
- If I had a day to spend doing anything I wanted, I would ________
- If I was going on vacation, would I take a car, plane, train, boat, or _______?
- Uniforms at school are good or bad because…
- Could my family live without a car, and take bikes or walk places?
- What would happen if I saw a friend cheating on a test?
- If I was famous for something, it would be…
- A good neighbor is someone who…
- The best way to study is…
- I can’t wait until I’m old enough to…
- If I could volunteer somewhere, I would _________
Hopefully, this listing of 5th Grade journal prompts and writing topics is inspiring and useful to you and your students, children, and beloved kids. Use them with your good writers and your reluctant ones. And be sure to check our blog often as new writing prompts are added nearly every week!
Related Links & Resource Ideas
- 5th Grade Writing Prompts
- More Fifth Grade Writing Resources
- See our collection of Creative Writing Prompts and Persuasive Writing Ideas
- Personal Narrative Writing Prompts for 5th Graders
- 5th Grade Writing Standards
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these 5th Grade Journal Prompts and 5th Grade Writing Prompts,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator