Fifth Grade Writing Ideas—
During fifth grade, many pre-teen students struggle to find their own maturity, stuck in a place slightly between childhood and the teenage years. One of the best gifts you can give your class is the opportunity to write with daily journal prompts.
When students journal, they experience the joy of unpressured time to simply sit down and explore their thoughts and feelings. In these new writing prompts for 5th-grade students, your class will think about everything from their earliest friends and what’s best about getting older to tougher questions on peer pressure and the importance of giving.
Use these writing prompts for 5th-grade students to help kids express themselves and grow more comfortable with their own thoughts and ideas. Fifth grade is an important time in a child’s life, and the positive influence of an activity that promotes self-confidence and self-expression can truly make a difference.
Oh, and one more thing before we get to those fifth grade writing prompts. I made a video about 25 Innovative Journaling Ideas for Kids. Here it is. Take a look! 😀
35 Writing Prompts for 5th Grade
1. What is the difference between a privilege and a right?
2. What is the most valuable thing you own? Why is it special?
3. Do you like to try new thing things? Why or why not?
4. Write about a favorite moment you had with your extended family. Why was it memorable?
5. What is the best thing about getting older?
6. Who is the most trustworthy person you know?
7. What is the greatest gift you’ve ever given? Why?
8. What surprised you the most about 5th grade?
9. Would you rather be freezing cold or burning hot? Why?
10. What famous person can you relate to the most? Why?
11. Are you good with technical devices? Why or why not?
12. How old were you when you learned to read? Do you remember what it was like?
13. Why is it important to give back to the community?
14. If you could have an extra hour of sleep or an extra hour of time to play after school, what would you choose? Why?
15. Where do you and your friends go during the summer? What do you do?
16. Write about the most remarkable thing you’ve ever done.
17. Are you good at focusing on things, or do you have trouble keeping your attention on one thing?
18. Write about a time you were truly surprised by a gift. How did it feel?
19. If you could go back in time, what period would you go to? What would you want to see?
20. What do you do when you someone you don’t like wants to spend time with you?
21. What is unique about your family?
22. Write about a time when you failed to keep a promise. How did you make it up?
23. What would you do if you only had one week to live?
24. Write about a time when you did something because everyone else was doing it. How did you feel afterward?
25. What does it mean to have a responsibility to someone?
26. What do you want to be remembered for someday?
27. Do you remember your dreams? How often? What happens in them?
28. Would you rather have an extra arm or an extra leg? Why?
29. Where do you feel most at home? What makes you feel so comfortable?
30. What is the strangest habit you have? How did you develop it?
31. Who is the first friend you ever made? What did you do together?
32. What is the coolest random fact you know? Where did you learn it?
33. What is the greatest gift you could ever receive?
34. Write about your favorite holiday memory.
35. Find a partner and interview one another about your childhoods. Then, write about what you have in common with one another.
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Writing Prompts for 5th Grade,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator