Summer Writing Prompts for 1st Graders — Throughout kindergarten, students master the art of learning their sight words, writing the alphabet, and composing their own sentences. In between kindergarten and first grade, students need practice these newfound writing skills.
Hooray for Fun Summer Writing Prompts for 1st Grade!
First grade writing standards require students to learn how to write full and complete sentences. From there, they begin learning about different types of writing, including opinion pieces, narratives, and informative texts.
In order to be fully prepared for first grade, students should practice summer writing for first grade in a journal. A summer journal is a fun and unique way for a young child to document their summer during the months of June, July, and August. All the while, they will be building upon those writing skills that will be critical in first grade.
These ideas for summer writing for first grade will help any student learn to love the writing process. Parents and caregivers can use these prompts and ideas to help their children get started.
34 Summer Writing Prompts for 1st Grade
Summer Bucket Lists
- Summer is a time for fun and relaxation. List five things you want to do this summer.
- You should spend lots of time practicing your reading this summer. List three books that you want to read on your own.
- Make a list of five places you want to go with your family this summer.
- Write a list of all the things you need to bring for a day at the beach.
- Imagine that your parents are taking you to the ice cream store. What three flavors are you going to put in your ice cream cone?
Summer and Exploration
- Imagine that you are going camping. Describe what it might be like to sleep under the stars.
- Write about a day that you spent exploring your own backyard or neighborhood.
- Write a fiction story about two characters who are going on a summer adventure. Where are they going to go? What are they going to do while they are away?
Trying New Things During Summer Vacation
- If you could play any sport this summer, what would it be? Have you ever played on a sports team before? What do you think it will be like?
- Write about the types of vegetables and fruits that grow in a garden. What new garden food could you try this summer?
- Write about what it feels like when you are learning to ride your bike without training wheels.
- Imagine that you are an inventor who needs to create something new over summer vacation. What would you invent? How would you do it? Why did you choose that invention?
Things to Do During Summer Writing Prompts for 1st Grade
- “My favorite thing to do in summer is….”
- “What did you do for fun last summer?”
- “What is your favorite game to play during the summer, and how do you play it?”
- “What do you like to do inside your house during the summer, and what do you like to do outside?”
- “How do you stay cool during the summer? What kind of clothes do you wear?”
- “What are some things you have learned how to do for the first time during summer? What do you want to learn how to do this summer?”
- “If I got invited to a summer picnic, I would bring….”
- “What is your favorite thing to eat during the summer?”
- “Describe your favorite summer meal.”
- “What are some good snacks for the summer?”
- “What do you eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert on a summer day?
Summer and Feelings
- “Summer weather makes me feel…”
- “What do you do to relax during the summer?”
- “What makes you happy during summer?”
- “What is the funniest thing you have ever seen or done during the summer?”
- “Name five things you like about summer.”
- “What are you looking forward to most this summer?”
Imagination Summer Writing Prompts for 1st grade
- “If you could go anywhere in the world this summer, where would you go, who would go with you, and what would you do there?”
- “If you could be any animal during the summer, which animal would you be and what would you do to enjoy the summer as that animal?”
- “Describe the most fun summer party you could ever have. Where would it be? What games would you play? Who would you invite?”
- “How would you describe summer to an alien from outer space who has never had a summer on their planet?”
- “If a genie agreed to grant you three wishes during the summer, what would you wish for?”
Summer writing for first grade should be a fun and exciting challenge for students. Journaling is a fun way to document summer memories and a great addition to other summer writing activities!
These summer writing prompts for 1st grade can help provide children with inspiration and direction, and they can be used with writers of all skill levels. Young writers may want to use pencils, markers, and stickers to enhance their journal pages or embelish their journal cover – what fun it will be to go back at the end of the year and re-read their favorite summer memory, what the did on Father’s Day, or if they celebrated National Ice Cream Month (pssss…it’s July!)!
Some Final Words on Summer Writing for 1st Grade Kids
Writing is a key skill for all children to develop and master. For the soon-to-be first graders, they have just learned a complete mastery of their alphabet. They have also learned how to write many new words.
Now, is time for them to refine their skills in forming sentences and short paragraphs. A fun and engaging way for them to do this is through writing. To encourage them to express themselves via the written word, be sure to offer them loads of topics they enjoy.
Now get to it and use these summer Writing Prompts for 1st grade kids today.
More First Grade Writing Resources
I hope you use the good summer writing prompts for 1st grade kids and the other writing resources listed above. Take action every day to prompt your 1st grader’s summer writing practice.
If you enjoyed these Summer Writing Prompts for 1st grade writers,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator