Our list of technology writing prompts gives writers a chance to understand the impact that technological advances have had on their daily lives. Take a look at our 31 terrific ideas and enjoy!
Today’s generation of children has grown up with a lot of technology. Often, their nurseries were filled with app-controlled baby monitors, their first toys were smart devices that were interactive and engaging, and their early classroom experiences had virtual elements and gadgets.
Given the prevalence of technology in their lives, it’s important to give kids an opportunity to write about it using our wonderful list technology writing prompts.
Most kids — regardless of their current age or stage of life — feel very comfortable with technology. Many school aged kids have experienced distance learning, which was full of technology (and sometimes also technological fails).
Grabbing a student’s interest is key, and many will think that it’s fun to write about an idea that they have for their own app or to describe their favorite video game. So while they are learning more about technology and their relationship with it, they also will be developing their writing skills and learning to love the writing process.
Not only will writing about tech help students relate better to it, but it also will be enjoyable for them.
Technology writing prompts or essay ideas can cover a variety of topics, ranging from the technological developments of the past, the role that technology plays today, and the ideas that could revolutionize the future.
Ok, without further ado, here are those…
31 Technology Writing Prompts for Kids
- If you had the chance to see what your life would be like in 20 years, would you take it? Why or why not?
- What will computers of the future look like?
- What do you think the world will be like in 2313?
- What will people of the future think of our world when they look back at 2020?
- In the future, will we be able to read people’s minds?
- In the future, will there be anything you can’t do online? How is this different than the world today?
- If you could travel to the moon, would you go? Why or why not?
- What would it be like to have a robot that could take care of your chores and schoolwork?
- What would it be like to teleport places?
- Where do you see yourself in 15 years?
- How will kids of the future go to school—in classrooms or online? What are the benefits of each option?
- In the future, do you think we will have flying cars? What would they look like? How would they work?
- What would it be like to take a pill for nutrition instead of eating? Which would you prefer?
- Do you think it is okay to clone people or animals? Why or why not?
- How will the Internet change in the next 30 years?
- What would you do if you had a way to remember everything? How would you use this ability?
- What technological advances impress you most?
- Do you think people will ever live on Mars?
- What would you do if you met a Martian? What would you tell the Martian about Earth?
- What will cell phones look like in 20 years?
- How will your life change as you get older?
- By the time you’re an adult, what new advances in technology do you think you will see?
- What would you print if you had a 3D printer?
- If you could travel anywhere with a time machine, where would you go?
- How will people communicate with others in 50 years?
- What would it be like to interact with the characters in movies and video games?
- How quickly will we travel in the future?
- What will cars look like when you are old enough to drive?
- Do you think people’s dreams will change in the future? How so?
- How will artificial intelligence (AI) technology affect jobs? Will there be more or fewer jobs needed?
- In the future, will computers have personalities?
From elementary to middle school and high school students, kids enjoy discovering the potential of their devices and smartphones or other favorite piece of technology and they find that new technology is the perfect supplement to their traditional learning materials.
Use these terrific technology prompts to encourage your writers to journal, write a persuasive essay, a short story, or just for general reflection on the role of technology in their life.
Take a look at this!
118 More Free and Fun Writing Prompts
- 20 STEM Writing Prompts for Students
- 35 Fantasy Writing Prompts
- 30 Inventions Writing Prompts for Kids
- 33 Poem Topics & Poetry Writing Prompts
Now, let’s explore…
5 Reasons to Use Technology Writing Prompts in Your Classroom
- By incorporating writing prompts into every subject in your curriculum, you can remind students that writing plays an integral role in every aspect of their lives. Even a student who wants to be a coder when they grow up will begin to understand that they still need excellent writing skills in order to succeed.
- Technology writing prompts can help reach students who may not typically be interested in writing. Those who are passionate about STEM-related work may not be natural writers, or they may find it more challenging. Rather than avoiding writing all together, these prompts will allow students to write about something they love and something they are comfortable with.
- Writing about technology can help students who are intimidated by devices or new apps to become more familiar and comfortable with the concept of using technology in their everyday lives. While most students have grown up with access to modern technology, there are still many that find it confusing or difficult to use. By using technology writing prompts, students may delve deeper into their relationships with technology and may find that it’s not as intimidating as they once thought it was.
- Writing about technology will help validate your students’ ideas. Far too often, children feel like their ideas are ignored or dismissed by adults, but when they put their pencil to their paper, their ideas become real. Technology prompts can help students describe the ideas that they have and even give them an opportunity to create plans to bring those ideas to life. When they see their words on paper, they will know that their dreams can become a reality.
- On the surface, technology seems to be a topic that is pretty cut and dry, but technology writing prompts can actually help spark a child’s imagination. These topics encourage students to think creatively and to come up with out-of-the-box ideas, which can help them boost their own confidence and enhance their creative writing skills. They might even come up with a new technological invention!
From mobile phones to self-driving cars, technology is all around us. Now that you understand the importance of writing about technology and the role it plays in our lives, you can use these technology writing prompts to help your students get started!
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Technology Writing Prompts for Kids,
please share them on social media via Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator
PS Check out this writing a research paper on technology resource.