Adventure Story Ideas for Kids and a BONUS list of prompts for Everyone— It is well known that children love to read stories that are filled with adventure, as do many adults. Now, if you enjoy writing about adventure, then welcome. There are some excellent adventure ideas here. Yes!
With the 2 lists of exciting adventure story ideas and prompts below, writers of all ages are encouraged to think about and write an adventure story of their very own.
Lots of people like to read about the magic of Harry Potter and imagine themselves in Hogwarts castle.
Others imagine they are a Jedi flying through space with Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars.
Plus, younger writers also typically love to write about topics that engage their imaginations and children especially enjoy writing about topics that pique their imaginary minds.
That’s where adventure story ideas come into play.
Ideas for an Adventure Story
The best writing topics for children are those which involve topics that kids can relate to or that fully engage their attention, and…
Almost everyone has also had some adventures of their own – or at the very least has imagined some adventures that they would love to experience.
So go ahead and share these fun, adventure story ideas and writing prompt ideas with your kids and encourage them to use their creative writing skills as they craft their own imaginative adventure stories. Or, use these ideas with writers of any age.
There is loads of fun to be had for writers of all ages with these lists of Excellent Adventure Story Ideas. Take a look now and enjoy!
17 Adventure Story Ideas & Writing Prompts for Kids
To expand on these adventurous thoughts…
I invite you to have your students undertake some adventure writing of their own. I hope you enjoy and use these wonderful adventure story ideas with your writers.
- Imagine that you could fly. Where would you go? And what would you do?
- Tell us about your favorite pet and the fun adventures it has while you are at school.
- Write a story about a robot in the future.
- What do you want to be when you grow up? Write about all the exciting things that happen.
- Imagine you are in a forest and the trees can talk. Why can they talk? What would they say to you?
- What is your favorite holiday character? Santa Claus? The Easter Bunny? What adventures do they have when it’s not the holiday season?
- Imagine a place in the world that you would really like to visit. What would you do there?
- What is your favorite sports team? What if you were on that team? What would you do?
- Write about what your favorite Disney character is doing right now.
- Ask your parents what kinds of things they did growing up. Write about their adventures.
- Imagine that you were small enough to ride an ant. What adventures would you and your ant friend have?
- Write a story based on the word “Amazing”.
- Write a story about what goes on in the refrigerator when the door is closed.
- If you were caught in a hot air balloon, what adventures would the balloon take you on and how would you eventually return to earth?
- Ask your parents for a quarter. Write about how that quarter made its way to you.
- Write about what goes on in the school when no one is there. Do the erasers, chalk, desks, and chairs come to life? What else could happen?
- Pretend you are a private detective. What would you investigate?
Now let’s explore even more ideas for adventure stories.
32 More Adventure Stories Ideas for Everyone
- In an unfortunate series of events, your protagonist finds herself stranded in the desert with her water running out.
- After years of writer’s block, your main character goes on a journey to find inspiration.
- A witch curses a group of friends, causing them to shrink to the size of ants.
- A family finds the hotel they’re staying at on vacation is haunted.
- After their car broke down in the middle of nowhere, a family must overcome dangerous obstacles to get back home.
- Two treasure hunters race to find the same treasure in four different potential locations.
- After their plane crashed into the jungle, two friends go on a quest to find each other.
- While cleaning your room, you find a key hidden inside an old dusty book. What does it open?
- A child discovers a portal going to infinite dimensions.
- A boy is abducted by aliens after they see his amazing fighting skills in video games.
- With their hot air balloon malfunctioning, two kids soar through the air until their town can barely be seen.
- On a hiking trip, a group of friends encounters a pack of wolves.
- An astronaut crash lands on an undiscovered planet.
- In a deal with the Devil, two children sell their souls for a superpower of their choosing.
- In this Indiana Jones-inspired caper, a charismatic hero travels three continents to defeat a band of villains.
- Explorers go on an expedition to find a ship that disappeared over three hundred years ago.
- An ordinary person is swung into action when he must save his town from a destructive meteor shower.
- In this high-stakes adventure, you find yourself hostage in the middle of nowhere.
- In this Lord of the Rings-inspired hero’s journey, the hero leaves his hometown on a quest to rid his town of a centuries-old curse.
- A group of misfits decides to take over the world, using their “flaws” as strengths to succeed.
- Tensions emerge as a group of boys are trapped on an island and must fend for themselves.
- On a mission to fight his arch-nemesis, a hero faces obstacles that challenge his internal conflict.
- Pilots discover a strange city in the clouds.
- Write a story about the power going out in a submarine.
- Describe the plot of a racecar driver training to achieve his childhood dream, win the Monaco Grand Prix.
- Science Fiction meets Adventure when a group of friends discovers a time machine in an abandoned factory.
- A jacket you bought from a thrift shop turns you invisible. What adventures do you get up to with your new jacket?
- You drop and break your T.V remote control. You put it back together, and suddenly it controls real life. What happens next?
- With the odds stacked against her, a pilot attempts to land the plane in the middle of a thunderstorm.
- A robot from the future takes you to the future world.
- While walking through the forest, you find a talking tree with an important message.
- A young boy gains a new perspective on the world through a series of events that keep him away from his home for a decade.
What a fun list of adventure story ideas. I hope you enjoyed them!
More Story Writing Prompts
- Mystery Writing Prompts for All Ages
- 35 Fantasy Writing Prompts for Kids
- How to Write a Choose Your Own Adventure Story
- 10 Best Adventure Books of All Time
I hope your students had fun with these adventure story ideas and let their imaginations run wild!
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Adventure Story Ideas and Writing Prompts for Kids,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator
2 thoughts on “49 Excellent Adventure Story Ideas (Newly Updated)”
Thanks for this it has been helping my brother out a lot with writing so he can practice. He is interested in a lot of them and some have caught my eye even. I thought of a good one elementary kids perhaps.
Imagine the stuff in your lunch bag became alive one day and escaped from your lunch kit and locker and was wandering around the school. Describe the adventures your lunch had before it made it’s way back to your locker and lunch bag. Remember this happens all before lunch that day.
I think it would make a good prompt or story starter for kids.
I think this is a fantastic story starter for kids. Thank you for sharing it with me and my all blog readers!!! 😀
Comments are closed.