Fabulous Journal Writing Prompts for Kids– For kids who are growing up and learning to express their thoughts, regular journaling provides a safe and open environment for exploration. Journal keeping offers kids the chance to reflect on their lives closely—something that they might not stop to do otherwise.
When kids journal, they slow down a bit and think about the people, situations, and influences in their lives that impact them the most. Writing is an outlet for our innermost thoughts and emotions—and through the process of journal writing, we can better understand where our feelings originate. Children who journal grow more comfortable with expressing their ideas and opinions, and they are more confident in their own identities.
31 Journal Writing Prompts for Kids
1. If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go?
2. Write about a person whom you’d like to be like someday. What is special about this person?
3. Who is someone whom you can always count on? How do you know you can trust this person?
4. If you were in the circus, what role would you have?
5. How would your teachers describe you?
6. Would you rather have a star or an island named after you? Why?
7. What is your favorite commercial? What do you like about it?
8. Write about a time when you helped a friend with something important.
9. What is the best kind of M&M’s? Peanut? Plain? Pretzel? Dark Chocolate? Why?
10. Do you consider yourself to be patient or excitable? Why?
11. Write about something that you believe.
12. Do you have any morning or evening routines? What do you do?
13. What are you most looking forward to about getting older? Why?
14. Do you want to go to college some day? Where do you think you’d like to go?
15. Do you think women today have equal rights to men? Why or why not?
16. Write about the best smell you have ever experienced. What memories does it remind you of?
17. Do you enjoy journaling? Why or why not?
18. Which character from your favorite TV show are you the most like?
19. Why do think your friends like you?
20. Would you rather have lifetime happiness or meet the love of your life?
21. If you could have an unlimited supply of anything, what would it be?
22. Is it hard to keep old friends and new friends at the same time?
23. If you could give one piece of advice to your best friend, what would you tell him or her?
24. If you were the eighth dwarf in Snow White, who would you be? Why?
25. Would you rather get a pet dog or a new horse? Why?
26. Write a poem about our city.
27. What is your earliest memory?
28. What do you do when you’re frustrated with someone?
29. If you wrote a book, what would it be about?
30. What is your favorite thing about the summer?
Until next time, journal on…