Winter Writing Prompts for Elementary Writers—
Elementary writing is a perfect skill to refine this time of year. But, as winter settles in, it’s easy for students to ditch their elementary writing practice and get distracted by the potential of snow days or by impending breaks from school.
If you’re looking for a way to get your student’s focus back on track and help them to be excited about journaling again, these 77 new elementary writing winter prompt ideas should help.
These elementary writing ideas are specifically dedicated to wintertime and all its glorious activities. From sledding down the tallest mountain in the world to imagining what would happen if a snowman turned into Frosty, these prompts encourage kids to get creative while they come up with engaging and unique new ways to celebrate the winter months. Use these prompts and you will have your students excited about their creativity and practicing their elementary writing skill again in no time!
With these exciting elementary writing winter prompts, kids will love thinking about their favorite things to do during winter, the best ways to stay warm, and the greatest family traditions they share. Winter is a time to celebrate family and togetherness – these prompts will have kids thinking about all of the things they love about these special months.
Before we get to those winter writing ideas and prompts for elementary students, I have some news to share with you. Recently, I made a video about 25 Innovative Journaling Ideas for Kids. Here it is. Take a look! ?
77 Elementary Winter Writing Prompts
- My favorite thing about the winter
- Winter is unique because…
- If I could live anywhere in the world during the winter time, I would live in…
- The best thing to do on a snow day
- If I was in charge of making the best snow fort ever, I would __________
- When it snows, I like to __________
- When I look out the window during winter, I see _______
- My favorite holiday television special
- The best family tradition during winter is…
- What would happen if it was winter all year long?
- Trees in winter look like _________
- What would it be like to be an animal that lived outside during the winter?
- Sledding down the tallest mountain in the world
- What if my snowman turned into frosty?
- My favorite winter sport
- The best kind of hot chocolate is _________
- If I lived on an icicle
- I can always tell it’s really winter when __________
- Building the perfect snowman
- When it gets dark early at night, I ___________
- Decorating the house for winter
- The best way to stay warm in the winter
- Winter wind is like ____________
- The best winter animals
- What if I wore snow boots in the summer and flip flops during the winter?
- How could I help a family that doesn’t have anywhere warm to live?
- How to win a snowball fight
- Sometimes during winter, I like to __________ to pretend it’s summer
- The first time I remember playing in the snow
- What would it be like if snow was made of marshmallows?
- The best winter treat
- If I were a snowflake, I would ____________
- How could I build a snowman without snow?
- Riding in a one-horse open sleigh
- Where do all the birds go during winter?
- If I could be in charge of school during the winter, I would…
- My favorite winter craft is _________
- When the power went out, my family ________
- Sledding down a vanilla ice cream cone
- Sitting by the fireplace with my family
- What if I could spend winter at the beach instead?
- Living inside a gingerbread house
- My favorite thing about the holidays
- If I was in the winter Olympics, I would ________
- What if I got to have two weeks of snow days during the winter, but had to go to school during the summer?
- Snow always reminds me of _________
- Winter is the ______ season because…
- If I lived at a Christmas tree farm
- Winter clothes are…
- If I could make skis out of anything, I would __________
- When it gets cold outside, I like to ________
- The best kind of sled
- The earliest that winter ever came was _______
- If I were a snowman, I would _______________
- How are my friends like snowflakes?
- A perfect snow angel is like __________
- My favorite holiday during the winter
- What would it be like to have winter somewhere where there was no snow?
- Every winter, my family _________
- What would it be like to be a polar bear?
- The best present to give someone during the winter is…
- The greatest snow day I ever had happened when ________
- Music that makes me think of winter
- The earliest time in the year it ever snowed here was _____________
- The coldest place I’ve ever been
- My parents say that winter is ___________
- The best type of snowballs for a snowball fight
- When it’s winter, my pets _________
- My favorite kind of gloves
- What if I had to wear snow shoes to school?
- Winter is the best time to __________
- When I get older, I will live somewhere where winter is ____________
- If my friends and I were penguins, we would ________
- Ice-skating at the lake would be fun
- During the winter, my parents drive _________
- Cold weather makes me think about ___________
- The coldest part of winter
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Winter Writing Prompts for Elementary Kids,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator