Many students find short story writing to be both fun and therapeutic. By writing the stories themselves, they begin to understand the need for an inciting incident, a climax, and a conclusion. They also learn more about the importance of character development.
Now that you have these good ideas for short story prompts, there’s no time to waste!
In order to better understand the literature that they will study in high school and throughout college, middle school students need to have a strong understanding of the elements of a story as well as character development. Instead of making your class all about the reading materials and the discussion questions that are posed afterwards, ask your students to become the writers themselves.
If you are looking for inspiration for your students, these 30 short story writing prompts are sure to help!
30 Good Short Story Writing Topics and Ideas
- It’s the first day of school and your character find a note on their locker door with a surprising message.
- Your character has been invited to a friend’s house for a sleepover. Something feels eerie and mysterious about the home.
- Your character has the opportunity to go on the adventure of a lifetime. They have to choose between Italy, Hawaii or Thailand for their upcoming vacation.
- Your character is walking down the street when a dog approaches them. They quickly realize that the dog has been abandoned, and take in the animal as their own.
- Your character heads out for a typical Friday night out with friends to see a movie, but nothing about the night goes according to plan.
- Your character is spending the evening hanging out at home when suddenly a fond memory of a past time returns to them.
- Your character writes a love poem about their secret crush, only to lose it in the hallway at school.
- Your character is watching the stars on a summer night. The character is pointing out constellations to a friend when they begin a conversation that will lead them on the adventure of a lifetime.
- Your character is walking along the beach when they discover a hidden pathway.
- Your character is checking the mailbox after school. There’s a mysterious letter addressed to them, and the only thing inside is instructions.
- Your character comes home one day only to find that their room is a completely different color and all of the furniture is new. They have no idea what happened, but it could only mean one thing.
- Your character has an opportunity to take a ride on a spaceship to another planet in the galaxy.
- Your character goes on a field trip to the local museum when suddenly one exhibit comes to life.
- Your character has to face their greatest fear in life, or face the consequences.
- Your character has the opportunity to be a photographer for the day. Now they just have to choose the location that they are going to shoot and explain the types of photos they will take along the way.
- Your character can choose between their dream car or their dream house. Which choice will they make?
- Your character is playing on the playground when suddenly they spot a sparkling object. They pick it up, only to realize that it’s magic.
- Your character wakes up to discover that they have become another character in their favorite book.
- Your character is feeling less than confident and needs to overcome a fear in order to accomplish a goal.
- Your character scores a game-winning goal, and it changes the rest of their lives.
- Your character is roasting marshmallows by the campfire when suddenly a family secret is revealed.
- Your character finds their best friend crying.
- Your character has a strange dream, that leaves them feeling restless and anxious.
- Your character makes a wish when blowing out their birthday candles, and it actually comes true.
- Your character gathers up the courage to ask their crush to dance, only to be surprised by the answer.
- Your character creates an invention that changes the way that the world works.
- Your character wakes up with the ability to talk to the family pet.
- Your character has the opportunity to be the teacher for the day, and make the rules themselves.
- Your character finds someone’s wallet on the street. They look inside and have to decide whether to return it or not.
- Your character discovers how to travel through time. They decide to go to…
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Short Story Ideas for Middle School Students,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator