Writing Prompts About Yourself for Kids— Sometimes it can be quite a challenge to get kids to write. One idea to engage the interest of children and students is to ask them to write about themselves. Writing about “Yourself” is an interesting topic for kids of all ages because, well… it’s all about them!
When kids write about themselves they learn about their likes and dislikes, their dreams and their future plans. Because their writing is focused 100% on them they may even discover some new things about themselves, like the fact that they are a talented writer or an amazing inventor or a very thoughtful, kind person.
Of course, some kids are not comfortable focusing on themselves and may find it easier to get creative with the assignment by engaging their creative writing skills and making up stories. They may engage their imagination and see themselves as a cartoon character and then write about themselves from the perspective of the character instead of from their own perspective.
The key to writing success for children of all skill levels is to make writing fun, enjoyable and engaging. Doing so will help to ensure that writing is a positive growth experience for kids.
26 Writing Prompts About Yourself
Here is a list of writing prompts for kids that are fun and focused and all about yourself!
- What is something you are good at doing?
- What is your favorite color and why?
- What is the story behind your name?
- Which country do you want to visit and why?
- What is your favorite cartoon?
- What do you want to be when you grow up and why?
- What is your favorite thing about school?
- What one thing do you want to change about your school?
- What is your favorite season and why?
- What would you like to invent and why?
- Where do you want to travel to as a kid? As a teenager? As an adult?
- Where do you want to live as an adult?
- What is your favorite food? Describe it in detail.
- What are you scared of and why?
- Write about your very best friend.
- What is the color of your room? Describe the things in it.
- Write about your pet animal.
- Write about which pet you want but do not have.
- What is your favorite holiday and why?
- Describe the night you _______________ and what happened.
- Design a tree house for yourself and describe what you will do in it?
- What is your favorite dress/outfit and why?
- What is your biggest dream for your future?
- Ten interesting things about you are…
- What makes you happy?
- What makes you sad?
Links & Resrouces
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Writing Prompts about Yourself,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator