Fun and Creative Prompts for Writing about Pets— I am happy to share with you that there are now two lists of pet writing prompts and a total of 25 pet writing topics. Best of all, below you’ll find some of our favorite writing prompts about pets for writers of all ages. Oh yeah.
Some of the prompts about pets are especially pertinent for elementary students, especially those in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade.
Other ideas in this post are great for students and writers from elementary through high school and beyond.
Oh, and the new and awesome bonus list of 10 pet writing topics are definitely excellent for writers in middle school on up to writers of all ages.
Truly, there are some excellent pet writing prompts here for everyone. Hooray!
Ok, take a look and get to writing about pets and animals today. You and your furry friends will be so glad you did.
However you and/or your students decide to use these prompts, just make sure to have tons of fun writing about pet animals!
15 Prompts for Writing about Pets
- Have children write a poem about their dream pet. There are no rules here. Just fun. They can even draw a picture if they would like.
- Write a story from the point of view of one of your pets (or of your favorite animal).
- Describe your favorite pet. What do you love about it? If you do not have a pet, describe the one you would like to have the most.
- Invent a brand new pet. What would it look like? How would you have to care for it?
- Write a conversation you would have with your pet (or dream pet) if you could talk with animals. (You could even read passages from Doctor Doolittle to go along with this prompt.)
- What if you had a pet like your favorite cartoon character? Who would it be? What kind of adventures would you have?
- If you would like to have a pet, make a list of the things you would have to do to care for your pet. If you already own one, write a paragraph about how you care for your pet.
- You can choose to be the pet of anyone in the world. Who would it be? What kind of animal would you be?
- Which pets are the best? Why?
- Let your students finish this story: “If I were a pet, I would be a _____, and I would….”
- What would the world look like if cats acted like dogs and dogs acted like cats?
- What if we all kept wild animals as pets? Which one would you choose?
- What would happen if you lost your pet? How would you feel? What would you do?
- If someone were to care for your pet (or dream pet) while you were away, what things would they need? Write out the care instructions they would have to follow to care properly for your pet.
- What would your day be like if you were a cat? Or a dog? Or a fish? What sorts of things would you do? What would be your favorite time of day?
I hope you enjoyed these fun prompts for writing about pets.
93 More Free Animal and Pet Writing Prompts
- 32 National Pet Day Journal Prompts
- 34 Easy and Fun Animal Writing Prompts
- 27 Amazing Picture Writing Prompts for Kids (lots of them with animals!)
- Animal Poetry Free Lesson Plan
10 Bonus Pet Writing Topics
Writing about pets can be a fun and rewarding experience. It can help you explore your creativity, practice your writing skills. So if you’re looking for some more pet-related writing prompts and ideas, look no further! Here are some great pet writing topics that will get your creative juices flowing.
- Write an adventure story from the perspective of your pet.
- I’ve always dreamed of a pet puppy and today…
- Write a funny story about a pet snake, a best friend, and a golden retriever.
- If I were an exotic pet, I would be a ______ because…
- Write a short story about the best pet you’ve ever had (or want to have).
- List the most endearing characteristics of your pet.
- What type of animal — from big cats to tiny insects — is your all-time favorite and why?
- If I could build my dream animal shelter, I would…
- My pet’s story is meaningful to me because…
- Why do hamsters make such a good classroom pet?
Ok. I hope you use these fun writing prompts and pet writing topics in your classrooms, lesson plans, or just for fun.
Writing About Pets with Our Prompts
Journaling and writing are powerful activities that can ground your students by giving them a stable, reliable place to express themselves. Your students will become more confident in their own ideas when they see that their thoughts matter with regular writing.
Now, you could…
Simply have your student select their favorite prompt from one of the lists above write about it.
Or, better yet, designate an entire unit of study to writing about pets and pick a prompt or a pet writing topics– or two or more — per week for inspiration.
A Few Final Thoughts
The best way for kids, or anyone, to write about our pets is to capture the unique personalities of our beloved animals in words!
With these 15 fun prompts and 10 bonus pet writing topics, you can start flexing your creative writing muscles in no time.
From recounting funny stories to describing their personalities, writing about our pets is a great way to practice and improve our writing skills. With these fun ideas, the possibilities are endless – but more importantly, it is a wonderful way to honor our beloved furry friends.
Ok, use our lists of great writing prompts about pets with your budding scholars, and enjoy.
Now don’t delay, grab a pen and paper and get writing!
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Pet Writing Prompts and Pet Writing Topics,
please share them on social media via Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator