Discover wonderful diary writing ideas here— Encourage kids to enjoy and write their heart out in their personal diary or journal with journal writing prompts. Most of all, be sure to encourage them to have loads of fun on their writing adventures!
I hope you and your kids are writing on a regular — even daily — basis.
Why? Here’s why… Daily writing has many fabulous benefits. There are health benefits, skill-building benefits, and self-improvement benefits.
Writing in a diary — or a journal — helps kids to clarify their thoughts and feelings, know themselves better, reduce stress, solve problems more effectively, explore different perspectives, and resolve disagreements with others.
Plus, writing is fun and encourages creativity.
One thing we know for sure is that diary writing is even more fun when you have fabulous writing ideas and journal prompts to help you along on your diary keeping journey.
That’s why below you will discover a fantastic list of diary writing ideas for kids to inspire their diary or journal writing efforts. Take a look now and enjoy!
33 Diary Writing Ideas for Young Writers
In this list of writing ideas, there are prompts that are sentences that need to be completed, questions to respond to, and thoughts to ponder and explore. Ok, here is that list of diary writing ideas for young writers. Enjoy!
- I am very proud because…
- If I were President I would…
- Why is the president so important?
- I am afraid to…
- Name on thing you do really well?
- What is your favorite room in your home and why?
- Describe what it means to be a good neighbor?
- What is your favorite time of day?
- Describe your best day ever?
- How do you deal with people who bug you?
- What excites you?
- Describe your favorite hobby.
- What is your favorite quote by a famous person?
- What is your favorite song and why?
- Climbing trees is…
- I wish trees could….. because….
- I want to be a ________ when I grow up. Then I will….
- I wish there were a law that said…..
- I wish I could forget the time I ….. because….
- I wish I could do…… because…..
- Older people are…
- Younger people are…
- The perfect place in the whole wide world is…
- What makes you feel sad?
- What can you do to help you feel better when you’re feeling blue?
- Name your favorite book and why?
- Walking in the rain is…
- I am proud of myself because…
- What I know about rabbits is that…
- If I were an Easter egg…
- For lunch today…
- If I were a raindrop I’d…
- Pretend that you can fly whenever you wanted. Where would you go?d
May these diary entry ideas, diary writing ideas, and journal ideas bring your writers inspiration.
Bonus – 8 More Super Simple Diary Entry Ideas
If the 33 diary writing ideas weren’t enough, you could use these ideas to get warmed up and to further support your self-discovery.
- What is your favorite movie?
- Do you like the experience of starting a new journal or diary and why?
- Do you think diary writing help your mental health?
- Write a short diary entry about your childhood.
- Affirmations are a powerful tool to help overcome negative thoughts. Do you use them or would you use them in your diary?
- Diary writing and/or a journaling habit are excellent tools for self-reflection. How does diary writing or your journaling practice help you in your daily life?
- To overcome writer’s block or for writing warm up, simple ideas and favorites can be a wonderful way to get your creative juices flowing. Here are some ideas to inspire you:
- favorite memory
- favorite food
- favorite thing
- the perfect day
- first memory
- favorite toy
- current mood
- dream vacation
- How can you strengthen your over all sense of well-being right now?
That’s all for this list of diary writing ideas.
Now see this…
171 More Diary Ideas and Journal Topics to Inspire You
- 38 Diary Writing Topics for Kids
- 60 Wonderful Wellness Journal Ideas
- 35 Great Gratitude Journal Prompts
- 38 Excellent Diary Entry Topics and Writing Ideas
Ok, now let’s explore…
More Thoughts on How Diary Writing Can Help Young People
Aside from being a great past time with positive health benefits, there are many other benefits of journaling and diary keeping.
Diary writing can boost a child’s creative expression abilities. Furthermore, keeping diaries — or a personal journal — is a great tool to use to manage the various aspects of life, especially those emotional challenges that life tends to hand us.
Psychologists have found that writing about emotions helps the brain cope with emotional struggles, thus reducing one’s heartaches and keeping life more emotionally balanced and healthier. Indeed, writing is a form of therapy that can effectively help children sort through their emotions.
Furthermore, diary writing as part of a daily routine can also help a child achieve their goals. When scribbling down things they want to achieve on a piece of paper, children can clearly define and give form to what they want to manifest in their life. They also give form to what it is they believe will bring them happiness. Journal entries are a great place to record personal growth.
Taking the time to record your goals in a diary or daily journal often means that you are half ways toward accomplishing them. Young writers could write a letter to their future self!
Writing can also help kids counter their fear of failure, reduce anxiety or overcome a personal weakness.
Through writing, children can improve their capacity to accept errors and failures just by the simple act of becoming aware of their thoughts and feelings about this subject. If a child decides to write daily about their fear of failure, it is thought that their tolerance for failure could grow so much so that eventually the child can eliminate many of their fears about it. This is another powerful benefit of diary writing.
By helping a kid express thoughts and ideas, diary writing becomes an effective way to communicate with oneself, especially in regards to those sensitive matters of the heart. Given all the ways writing can help surely you see its value. (Of course, this is, in part, why we’ve published the diary writing ideas here in this blog post.)
If you see that your child has a propensity for writing, they most likely has a great potential for self-improvement and self-awareness. That bodes well for their future success. And who knows, your child might end up with a writing career that is not only an achievement to be proud of but also a fabulous source of income.
Have your kids grab their pens, pencils, notebook, computer, cellphone for writing device of choice and get down the the business dear diary writing today. It’s a wonderful expression of self-care to add to a morning routine or any part of the day.
Until next time, keep on writing in that diary!
If you enjoyed these Diary Writing Ideas,
please share them on social media via TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator
Check out this helpful resource on How to Start a Diary