Short Writing Prompts— Teaching kids to write from a young age is one of the best things a teacher can do for his or her students—and there’s no better way to get elementary school kids writing than through the use of a few fun writing prompts.
In this all-new set of 30 short writing prompts for young kids, your students will get the chance to write about topics that interest them and to express their ideas about the issues and people that matter to them.
Whether they’re imagining how they would spend a day with their favorite TV characters, defending their favorite candy, or expressing what they love most about their parents, young students will learn to write and convey their thoughts in a manner that is easy to understand, age-appropriate, and—most importantly—fun!
Use these short writing prompts for elementary school students to help your class ease into the process of regular writing—and to help them learn how much fun creative self-expression can be!
Short Writing Prompts for Young Writers
- Write about one thing that was different in real life than it was on TV.
- If you could have any one talent without having to practice it, what would it be? Why?
- If you had a secret clubhouse, what would it look like? What would you do there? Who would be allowed inside?
- Assuming you had plenty of food, water, and survival supplies, what five things would you bring with you to stay busy on a desert island?
- Write about a time when you disobeyed an important rule. What happened?
- What is your greatest wish? Do you believe it will ever come true?
- Do you like going to the dentist and doctor? Why or why not?
- What is the most interesting fact you know? Where did you learn it?
- If you could spend a day with your favorite TV character, who would you choose to hang out with? What would you do together?
- Which is better—chocolate candy or fruit candy? Why?
- Write about the most fun thing you’ve ever done with your best friend.
- What is something that most people don’t know about you? Do you think it would surprise them?
- Write about a time when you had a secret you couldn’t share. What did you do?
- How much time do you spend on the Internet each day? What is your favorite thing to do online?
- What is your favorite thing about your house? Why?
- Would you rather take a long road trip or fly somewhere on a plane? Why?
- Write about something that you’re really good at. Describe it in detail.
- What is your favorite thing to do with your parents? Why?
- Write a poem about why your mom is special to you.
- Write a poem about what you love most about your dad.
- What is your favorite sound in the entire world? Why?
- What is the best book you’ve ever read? What did you like about it?
- If you could have any animal as a pet, which would you choose? Why? What would you name your new pet?
- Would you rather walk, ride a bike, roller-skate, skateboard, or ride a scooter to the park? Why? What is the benefit of your chosen form of transportation?
- Who is the best superhero? What makes him or her so cool?
- What family traditions do you want to carry on with your own kids someday? Will you modify them in any way or keep them exactly the same?
- What is your favorite thing to do at the park? Why?
- Do you like having your photo taken? Why or why not?
- Write about a time when you were genuinely surprised. What happened?
- Are you good at taking tests? Why or why not?
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Short Writing Prompts,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator