Story Writing Topics for Kids + 9 Bonus Ideas— A list of fabulously fun ideas and prompts for your writers. Creative writing is important for kids because it allows them to express their imaginations, and…
Story writing practice and skill development also teaches discipline and a measure of control.
Story Writing Insights and Advice
Though kids might think that anything goes when they write fictional stories, they’ll quickly learn that it’s also important to keep order within the story.
For a story to be believable, kids have to make their thoughts clear and describe things in detail.
Stories can be fantastic and full of events that are impossible in real life, but there also needs to be a logical flow and consistent rules for the world of the story.
When kids write stories, they get to express their ideas and thoughts in new and spontaneous ways.
Nobody and No Student Will be Able to Resist these Fabulous Story Prompt Ideas ?
With these 55 superb story writing topics for kids, young writers will have the chance to write exciting new stories and consider the importance of storytelling.
The first section of prompts gives students a starting point for their stories, offering familiar situations that can truly go in any direction the student’s mind wants to take.
In the next section, kids receive three unrelated objects. From these ideas, they’ll create a unique story that incorporates each item—and most likely, no two students will use the objects in the same way.
Finally, the third section of prompts asks kids to consider their thoughts about writing. They’ll think about why they write, how they write, and ways they can improve their stories.
Story writing is an important part of every child’s learning and development, and these prompts help kids get inspired. Whether kids are more interested in exploring new situations or the motivations of their characters, they’ll get plenty of creative ideas on the page once they begin writing stories.
55 Story Writing Topics for Kids
Enjoy this superb list of story writing topics and creative writing prompts for kids.
Write a story about…
1. a class that comes together for a special project.
2. a young boy who loves magic tricks.
3. a group of friends who win a trip to Italy.
4. a class that reluctantly volunteers at a soup kitchen and learns something new.
5. a kid who becomes the principal of the school.
6. a young girl who loves race cars.
7. traveling back in time to see the dinosaurs.
8. a kid who saves Christmas for everyone.
9. what you would do if you met your favorite celebrity.
10. a cat that stows away on a spaceship.
11. a brother and sister find an old journal in the attic.
12. traveling to the future to your city 300 years from now.
13. a friendly alien who comes to Earth
14. a teacher who becomes a movie star.
15. a group of friends who learn a dangerous secret about their school.
16. a family vacation in the woods.
17. a dog with magic powers.
18. a boy who dreams of becoming a chef.
19. a big game that comes down to the last point.
20. finding a chest of buried treasure in the backyard.
21. a family who wins the lottery.
22. two friends who compete in a talent show.
23. a trick-or-treating trip that starts getting scary.
24. a man who receives $1,000,000 in the mail.
25. a city where everyone only eats dessert.
26. a brother and sister accidentally get on the wrong airplane.
27. a magic cell phone that turns into a robot.
28. a girl who wants to be a vet when she grows up.
29. a pair of best friends who have a big fight.
30. a summer camp for kids of superheroes.
31. an old woman who wins the city’s bowling tournament.
32. a cat with a large appetite.
Write a story that somehow combines the following three items. Each item can be a major part of the story or a minor detail—as it long as it appears somewhere.
33. a hot dog, a skateboard, and a rose.
34. a set of keys, a special piece of jewelry, and a bowl of soup.
35. a bicycle, an old book, and a pair of flip flops.
36. a lawnmower, a chocolate bar, and a teapot.
37. a television, lipstick, and a piggy bank.
38. the first day of school, a cup of coffee, and the mailman.
39. a beach, the zoo, and the Statue of Liberty.
40. a dog, a Christmas tree, and a babysitter.
41. a Barbie doll, an iPod, and a paintbrush.
42. a sunrise, a calculator, and a basketball.
43. a guitar, a rainbow, and a mirror.
44. a zombie, a birthday cake, and a pair of high heels.
45. a winter coat, a park, and a grizzly bear.
Writing about Writing — Story Writing Topics for Kids
46. Why do we write stories?
47. What are your favorite types of stories?
48. Do you enjoy writing? Why or why not?
49. Where do you find inspiration for your stories?
50. Why is it important to tell stories?
51. What is your favorite story? What do you like about it?
52. If someone wrote a story about your life, what would it be about?
53. What makes a story interesting?
54. What things does every story need to include?
55. Do you prefer to make up stories or base them on real life? Why?
From science fiction to romance stories, you’ll find good story ideas and story writing topics for kids here in this blog post. No matter the genre your writers choose, these story starters are sure to inspire creativity!
8 More Excellent Story Writing Topics for Kids
Enjoy this bonus list of fiction writing prompts and story ideas for young writers.
- Your pet decides to go on an adventure…
- You’ve been given your choice of two superpowers. What do you choose and how do you use them?
- Write a fantasy story about the unlikely pairing of a group of no-good pirates, a friendly elephant, and a very bossy mouse.
- You find a time machine and decided to travel to outer space when you find an amazing new planet!
- The toys in your house have taken over…
- A detective shows up at your front door…
- You’ve decided to live in a treehouse and invite your best friend to live with you.
- Write a story where your future self is the main character.
Have fun writing with these wonderfully creative ideas.
More Story Prompts, Writing Ideas, and Resources
- Story Writing Prompts, Ideas, and Printables
- Short Story Ideas for Middle School
- Six Steps to Develop the Plot of a Story
- Guide to helping your child write a story
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Story Writing Topics for Kids,
please share them on social media via Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator