Fun & Creative Journal Keeping Ideas for Kids— Oh, the many joys of creative journaling! I love to write about journal keeping tips, journal prompts and starters, creative journaling, and journal writing techniques. Writing in a journal is one of my favorite activities, but creating new, exciting and innovate ways to keep a journal is nearly as enjoyable if you ask me.
Journaling helps students to improve their writing skills and their critical thinking, as they take a topic and explore it from multiple angles. Journaling can be assigned to any age child, and the sooner a kid starts to journal the better if you ask us!
To get and keep kids interesting in journaling, try introducing them to fun, exciting, simple, and low-cost ways to embellish a journal. Below is a list of fun and exciting journaling ideas for kids that will make their journal keeping a more interactive, creative and unique tool for self-expression.
Ok, without further ado, here are those creative journal keeping ideas. Enjoy!
Journaling Ideas for Kids: 25 Innovative & Creative Inspirations
- Summarize your day in 20 words or less.
- Write one word across the journal page that best describes your day.
- Write out the lyrics to your favorite song or print them out and paste them into your journal.
- Draw a picture.
- Write a poem.
- Break all those writing and grammar rules and journal in your own unique style!
- Print out a copy of an Instant Message chat that you had with your friend or your parent, and paste it into your journal.
- Compose a song.
- Write in your journal using colorful markers, colored pencils or even crayons!
- Cut and paste your favorite pictures from magazines into your journal.
- Paste craft items into your journal (check with your Mom, aunts, or teachers for things you can use).
- Brighten your journal with paint.
- Paste stickers in your journal.
- Include quotations by your favorite famous person or someone you admire. You can find quotes online or in books from the library.
- Record important events in history.
- Draw a cartoon.
- Record important news from the day.
- Figure out how many days are left until your 13th birthday or your 16th birthday or your 18th, 21st, 33rd, 47th, 53rd or 111th birthday!
- Interview a family member and record the interview in your journal.
- Interview a friend and record the interview in your journal.
- Write down 3 things that you’re thankful for.
- Write down 3 things that really bug you.
- Invent a cool, new saying and record in your journal how and when you used it.
- Invent an animal that no one except you has ever thought of before.
- Draw a picture of an animal that no one except you has ever seen.
Journal Prompts Resources
To help with your creative journal writing, I offer you the following writing prompt links. Also, keep in mind that our website is jammed packed with awesome and amazing journaling resources and writing prompts.
- 1,000’s of journal prompts by topic
- Journal Writing Prompts
- “What If…” Writing Prompts
- Top 10 Journaling Tips for Kids
May your journaling adventures be filled with joy, fun, and creativity. Until next time,
Until next time, journal on…
If you enjoyed these Innovative Journaling Ideas,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator