PIZZA!!! Check out these 30 Pizza Writing Prompts — There are hundreds of fun holidays marking food and culture every year and it would be difficult to celebrate them all—but you certainly don’t want to miss National Pizza Day! This very special food holiday is celebrated each year on February 9th and it’s the perfect excuse to grab a slice of your favorite pie.
As an added bonus, use these prompts to celebrate National Pizza Month in October, too!
In these fun Pizza Writing journal prompts, your students will spend time writing about the beloved dish and all of its popular iterations. As they ponder the merits of cheap greasy pizza, dream up their own new recipes, and argue for their pizza-maker of choice, you’ll undoubtedly hear a few stomachs rumbling.
And whether or not you decide to pair this tasty assignment with a class pizza party, your students will definitely enjoy the opportunity to mix up their writing with a few journal entries that focus primarily on something fun and frivolous!
30 Delicious Pizza Writing Prompts
Use these Pizza writing prompts to help your class celebrate this landmark holiday!
- The average American consumes approximately 23 pounds of pizza each year. Where do you think your pizza consumption falls in line with this number—is it above or below average? Describe how often you eat it and what kinds you enjoy.
- What is the most memorable pizza you’ve ever eaten? What makes it stick out in your mind?
- Which restaurant or restaurant chain has the best pizza? Why?
- If you could make a [local city]-style pizza, what would it be like? What characteristics would make it unique?
- What is the most important component that goes into making a delicious pizza? Why?
- Would you rather have an endless lifetime supply of frozen pizza or a single weekly delivery from your favorite place for one year? Why?
- Which is better—cheap, greasy, or one-cheese, elaborate, more expensive pizza? Why? Discuss the merits of each.
- Compare and contrast your favorite and least favorite types of pizza.
- How will you celebrate this National Pizza Day? Describe your plans in delicious detail.
- If you could invent a new type of pizza, what would it be? What kinds of toppings would it have? Most importantly, what would you call it?
- Write a poem describing your true feelings about pizza.
- How frequently does your family get pizza? Are there any special occasions when you’re most likely to enjoy it?
- What is your favorite way to get a pizza—frozen and then microwaved or baked, or delivery, takeout, or dine-in? Why?
- Write about a topic of your choice using pizza as a metaphor. Describe what it means to you.
- How does pizza rank against your other favorite foods? Describe why it comes in above or below your other choices.
- Do you eat pizza with silverware or with your hands? Why?
- Should recipes like barbecue chicken, Mexican, or dessert pizza be considered as true pizza? Why or why not?
- Do you ever get tired of pizza? Why or why not?
- Write about your earliest memory that involves pizza. Describe what was memorable about the experience.
- Are you a crust person? Why or why not?
- In your opinion, what other foods pair best with pizza? Why?
- Why do you think pizza is such a popular food?
- What is your favorite kind of pizza? What do you like most about it?
- What would you do if you met someone who didn’t like pizza? How would you forgive him or her for this transgression?
- Is pizza deserving of its own national holiday? Why or why not?
- What is the most unique pizza topping you’ve ever had? Was it good? Would you eat it again? Why or why not?
- Do you prefer for your pizza to have a lot of sauce or a little sauce? Why? What makes a good sauce?
- Why do you think pizza is such a universally loved food?
- Do you like hot or cold pizza better? Why?
- What fun activity pairs best with a pizza night? Describe why this combination works so well together.
Related Links & Resources
- 50 Ice Cream-Themed Journal Prompts for Kids
- 19 Creative Writing Food Prompts for Kids
- 11 Delicious, Glorious Ways to Celebrate National Pizza Day
Until next time, journal on…
If you enjoyed these Pizza Writing Prompts
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator