Writing Romance Story Ideas— High school students tend to want more than larger-than-life characters and exciting plots – they’re looking for something more.
Most young adults are just learning about love and romance in their own lives and they’re ready to start exploring these topics and the emotions surrounding them in their writing.
While writing romance may sound easy, creating a good romance story takes work and practice. It’s challenging to write engaging romance stories that have two characters whose chemistry and personalities will keep the readers hooked.
Young adult writers may need a bit of help coming up with good ideas to get their romance stories going. Use these helpful romance story ideas and prompts to help your high school students improve their skills at writing deep, emotional romance stories that grab the reader’s attention.
Romance Story Ideas
- You’ve had a crush on your high school friend for two years, but that feeling was never reciprocated – until you ran into each other at a local movie theater one weekend. Create a story about the chemistry developing between the two of you.
- Write a story about two best friends who get tired of trying to find love, so they try to start a relationship with each other, even though they don’t really have any chemistry.
- It all started when her sporty red car hit me while I was crossing the street with my bicycle…
- Create a story about a human character that falls in love with a magical creature that isn’t human.
- What happens when two characters who are initially mortal enemies actually fall in love?
- A tour guide who organizes special tours for singles falls in love with one of the travelers he or she meets. Write their love story.
- Write a romance story about a pop star who falls in love with a fan and they run away together to get away from a demanding record label.
- As a bridesmaid, you meet the best man at your sister’s rehearsal dinner and hit it off immediately. He asks you out, but your sister warns you about him. Write a romance story in which you try to follow her advice, but you find it challenging to keep him at arm’s length.
- You purchase a raffle ticket at the town carnival and it ends up being for a date with the mayor’s son, someone you’ve known all your life. How does the date go?
- Two teenagers from different social circles end up traveling to Europe on the senior trip. Although they have vastly different backgrounds, they begin to fall in love on the trip.
- The homecoming king has had feelings for a long-time friend who’s considered more of an academic type. He has to overlook all the social pressures at school and fight to win the girl he truly loves.
- A gawky freshman falls in love with a stunning senior who’s way out of her league. She’s determined to win him over, despite the long odds of actually getting his attention.
- The captain of the cheerleading team has been in and out of all kinds of relationships and none of the guys have treated her right. Her best guy friend has been there every time to help her pick up the pieces. Can he finally get out of the friend zone and get her to see him as more than just a friend?
- A Spanish exchange student has a tough time getting used to the new high school, but one girl befriends him. Over time, their friendship begins turning into something more. There’s one problem – her father doesn’t want them to be together.
- Two friends get stuck in an airport overnight in the middle of a snowstorm. Can he finally get a Christmas miracle and convince her to give him a chance?
- Two high school students being treated for cancer meet in the oncology ward. They become friends and work on encouraging each other during their difficult treatment. Their connection grows, but what happens when one of them gets discharged first?
- While it’s rare to find true love when you’re a child, your main character actually did. But then the pressures of high school come along and threaten to tear their love apart.
- You thought your crush was just one-sided until this happened…
- Write a story about going on a road trip with a friend, and on that trip, the friendship turns into something more.
- You’re at a party when you suddenly see your ex. You grab the nearest person and pretend to be dating him/her and they just happen to be very attractive.
- A friend convinces you to go on a blind date and you think it’s going well, but then suddenly it goes horribly wrong.
- You’ve had a crush on a fellow student for months and somehow that crush ends up being revealed at a class meeting. Yet it turns out okay and you find out they have a crush on you, too.
- You continually bump into the same stranger around town. Finally, you decide it’s time to say hello and see what fate has planned for the two of you.
- A couple breaks up, but they suddenly realize they’ve made a big mistake. Is it too late for them to get back together?
- Two people fall in love and they just know that they’re perfect for each other, but the time never seems to be right.
- Two students are fighting for the same spot in the class election. Somehow as they’re campaigning, they start to fall in love.
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Romance Story Ideas for High Schoolers,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator