New Journal Writing Prompts for Kids—
Getting kids to journal can be the beginning of a wonderful lifetime habit. One of the main benefits of journaling is that it gives children a healthy outlet to express what’s in their hearts and what’s on their minds. Indeed, this is the very essence of how to journal… self-expression in a safe environment free of judgment, rules, and limitations.
Journaling helps children develop a positive inner voice. Additionally, journal keeping allows them to have an outlet to express themselves in a way that they can’t with anyone else.
Below are some journal writing prompts that may be used by any child of any age, including preteens and teens, to get them on their way to a lifetime of journaling and healthy habits.
Journal Writing Prompts | 31 New Ideas
- Who was the first friend you ever made? Why do you two get along?
- What would be the worst job to have? Why?
- What is your greatest wish? Do you think it will ever come true?
- Write a poem about swing sets.
- If you could make one wish for your best friend, what would you wish for him or her? Why?
- What time in history would you most like to visit? What would you do and see there?
- What does it mean to be a “good friend” to someone?
- Write a story about someone who discovers a new part of the world.
- Should kids be required to go to school?
- What is the best place to go around town with your friends?
- What did you do last weekend?
- Is it easy for you to come up with new ideas? Why or why not?
- Would you rather have two Christmases or two birthdays in a single year? Why?
- Do you prefer to work with others or by yourself? Why?
- Have you ever had to keep a secret that you couldn’t tell? Were you able to?
- Write a poem about being a girl.
- What color of crayon best suits your personality? Why?
- Write about a time when you got into deep trouble for something with your parents. What happened, and what did you learn in the end?
- What is the difference between an opinion and a belief?
- Write about the most supportive person in your life.
- Would you rather see a live dinosaur or a Martian? How would you interact with it?
- What was your favorite book when you were younger? What did you like about it?
- Write a poem about your favorite book, TV, or movie character.
- Do you have a hard time being patient? Why or why not?
- How do you spend money—slowly or quickly? Why?
- What is the coolest project you ever did at school? How was it different than other projects?
- Write a poem about the love your parents have for you.
- Write about all of the places you’ve ever lived. What feels like home?
- Write about a book that has had an impact on your life. How did it influence you?
- What is your favorite sports team? How do you feel when you watch a game?
- Name three things that you share with someone you admire. How are you two alike?
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these New Journal Writing Prompts & Ideas,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator