Writing About Sports Journaling Ideas— Not all kids are huge sports fans. Yet, many do get involved in organized games. For kids who love being active, sometimes they’re less likely to sit down and take time to write. Which is why…
It’s always a great idea to get kids to write about what they love, and in this case, it’s sports! You might ask them to write about their favorite athlete. Or they could focus on what they love about the sport they play. The bottom line is there are so many angles to explore when writing about this fun topic.
Below are 40 sport prompt ideas to get your students writing about one of their favorite topics. Even kids that don’t play sports may find it exciting to write something creative about this topic.
Do you want up the chances of getting your active kids interested in writing? Then you should definitely capitalize on their interest in game-playing and physical activity. So go for it and help your kids turn their love of sports into great writing.
40 Writing About Sports Prompts
- Write about your favorite sports player. Why are they your favorite? What makes them stand out to you?
- Write about one of the most famous sports players ever and include some interesting facts about them.
- Create a story about a sports event, writing it as if you’re a sports announcer.
- Come up with a brand-new sport. Write about how you play it and include some rules for the new sport you’ve created.
- Write about your favorite moment playing a sport. How did it happen, and how did it make you feel?
- Name three of your favorite sports. Why do you watch them or play them?
- If you could be any athlete from any sport and any time, past or present, who would you be? Why?
- Write about a day in the life of an athlete.
- What does being a part of a team mean to you?
- Do you feel like there is a special bond between members of a sports team?
- Write about some of the sports that you don’t enjoy. Why don’t you like them?
- If you could change something about a sport you don’t like, what would it be?
- How does being involved in a sport change you?
- If you could create your dream sports uniform, what would it be like? Describe it in detail.
- Have you learned any important lessons being involved in athletics? Why or why not?
- If you could play for any team in any sport, which team would you play for? Why?
- Write about playing a game as a member of an NHL, NFL, NBA, or other worldwide sports team. Go into detail about how it would feel playing a game at that level.
- Does playing a sport help you make new friends? How?
- Write about a friend you’ve made while being involved in athletics.
- Science says that playing sports can make you feel happier, do you think this is true? Do you feel happy when playing a sport?
- Your sports team is losing, and you’ve got 60 seconds left. If you were calling the shots, what would you do?
- Pretend you’re the manager of your sports team. Come up with a game plan for how to win the next game.
- Write a song or chant that supports your favorite sports team.
- Write a fan letter to one of your favorite athletes. What would you want to ask?
- Write about some of the main reasons you love your favorite sports team.
- If you could create your dream football, baseball, or basketball team, what players would you choose for your ‘dream team.’
- Pretend that you’re a sports reporter writing a sports column. Write a sports report on the last game you watched, and don’t forget to include who, what, when, where, and why.
- Imagine that someone had never heard of your favorite sport. How would you describe it to them?
- Write about what you have to do to make sure you are playing at your best. Do you work out? Practice regularly?
- Write about one of the biggest sports-related defeats in your life. How did you deal with it?
- Choose an Olympic athlete and write about their journey to the Olympics.
- Have you ever thought about going to the Olympics? What would you compete in?
- What if you found a piece of sports equipment that helped you play better. Write about what would happen.
- Do you think cheating in a sport is wrong?
- What would you tell someone thinking about playing sports?
- Write a letter convincing your best friend that they should play your sport.
- Do you think that getting good grades is as important as being good at a sport? Why or why not?
- How would you feel if you had to stop playing sports?
- Write about a time you got injured while playing a sport. What happened? How did you feel?
- Do you think that sports make the world a better place? Why or why not?
Related Resources & Links
- Physical Education Writing Prompts
- 53 Good Nutrition Writing Prompts for Kids
- Health Journaling Ideas & Prompts for Kids
- Tips for Writing 5 Types of Sporting-themed Stories
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Writing Prompts,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator