Elementary Writing Ideas for the New Year — The start of a new year is a wonderful time for students to reflect on all of the places that a person has been, the things he or she has done, and all that was experienced during the previous year. The New Year is also a great time to look forward to new opportunities, changes, and goals for the coming year, and elementary writing via journaling is the perfect tool for the task!
The following elementary writing list of 77 journal prompts will help kids to think about their greatest successes, favorite memories, and lessons learned throughout the past year. These writing ideas will also get your kids thinking about what they hope to accomplish during the next year, what they would like to learn or experience, and what other events they are excited about.
Whether students are making New Year’s resolutions of their own or are simply looking back toward their accomplishments, New Year’s is a great opportunity to reinforce the value of achievement and positive recognition. It is also a great topic for elementary writing lessons.
New Year’s is an exciting time for any student to experience pride for the past and anticipation for what is yet to come!
Journaling Prompts for Elementary Writing
77 Exciting Ideas
- My family’s new year’s traditions
- Next year, I want to _______________
- The best thing I accomplished this year
- The one word to describe my next year will be ________, and this is why…
- How can I describe last year?
- How might I use my journal to keep track of my resolutions?
- Why do we celebrate new year’s?
- I start my countdown for the new year at _________
- What if when midnight struck, the same year started over again?
- What is my one wish for the world during the new year?
- The best thing to do to start off the new year is ____________
- The most exciting thing I did all year long
- How will I keep my new year’s resolutions?
- How can I thank someone who helped me last year?
- Every new year, I like to____________
- Make a list of 15 words the new year makes you think about – why do these words come to mind?
- What is something I could do to make my room or house look ready for the new year?
- New year’s is the best time to ____________
- My favorite game last year
- My favorite way to spend the new year
- Why are resolutions so important?
- In five years, I will be ______________
- The silliest way to ring in the new year
- My favorite year ever was _________
- Something I did last year that I want to do again this year is __________
- When my parents taught me about new year’s, they said _________
- Why do people make new year’s resolutions?
- The most important thing that journaling has taught me this year
- Fireworks on new year’s are ______
- If I could be anywhere in the world at midnight on new year’s eve, I would go to _________
- I love to celebrate new year’s by _______
- If everyone could _________ during the new year, then the world would be a better place
- What would it be like to fly around to different parts of the world on new year’s eve?
- Last year was successful because __________
- How do people around the world celebrate the new year?
- The best new year’s resolution I ever made was __________
- I can’t wait until __________ happens next year
- My favorite place last year
- New year’s is the time to ________
- What were the best things that happened during the last year?
- Last year, I celebrated the new year by _______
- The most important resolution I ever kept
- My favorite part of school last year
- The best month of last year was _________
- What is one regular practice I would like to adopt next year?
- Where does the new year’s baby come from?
- How could I explain new years to someone younger than me?
- I will miss last year because __________
- My favorite toy to play with last year
- The nicest thing I did last year
- I love to watch the ball drop on television because ________
- How can I use my journal this year to watch the way I grow?
- In the new year, I will ____________
- Something I would change about last year is ________
- At midnight, I will __________
- Five things that will change about me next year are _________
- Five things that changed about me during the last year are _________
- The thing I was most excited about last year was _________
- Resolutions are ____________
- My best friends last year were _________ because ____________
- I was excited when I learned about _________ last year
- The best journal entry I wrote last year
- On new year’s, I will wear ________
- The hardest thing I had to do last year
- I think the best way to celebrate the new year is __________
- Something I’m looking forward to next year is __________
- The most interesting person I met last year
- My favorite part of the year is ___________
- How will I “ring” in the new year?
- I’m thankful that ________ happened last year
- When I think about people across the world starting the new year earlier, I think ________
- One resolution that I really want to keep
- Something that I didn’t want to do last year, but that I’m glad I did, is __________
- The best new year’s celebration ever
- Something that I put off doing last year that I want to do this year
- My biggest goal for next year
- The most important thing that happened all year
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Elementary Writing Ideas for the New Year,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator