53 Presidents’ Day Writing Ideas for Kids
Presidents’ Day is the time to celebrate some of the greatest leaders of our nation and is just one of the great journal topics we suggest you use with your kids.
Held on the third Monday in February, Presidents’ Day honors the achievements of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, as well as other presidents throughout history. Though your students may already be familiar with the traditional stories of these two men, some fresh writing prompts can help them to begin thinking about what the office of the president entails.
On the journal topics list below, we’ve compiled questions to get your students thinking about the president’s role, the importance of the office, and the way a president must balance political parties. Your students will also consider the roles of Washington and Lincoln, think about what it would be like to be the president and reflect on the current president’s achievements. Each prompt encourages students to think critically and evaluate the presidency as they write about their impressions of the office. Students will enjoy the chance to imagine what they would do as president and to dream up the policies they would institute.
53 Presidents’ Day Writing Ideas & Journal Topics for Kids
- What qualities make a good president?
- If I were the president, I would…
- What is the president’s main job?
- __________ was the best president ever because…
- Presidents’ day is celebrated in February in honor of both George Washington’s and Abraham Lincoln’s birthdays – which do you believe made a greater contribution to America?
- Celebrating Presidents’ day is important because…
- How should the president balance between democrats and republicans?
- Should we have a female president?
- If you could ask the president to do one thing, what would it be?
- What do you think about the story of George Washington and the cherry tree?
- When America goes through a tough time, the president needs to…
- If you could hang out at the white house for a day, what would you do?
- Why do we have a president instead of a king?
- If you were the president, what issues would you focus on?
- Should any other presidents be added to Mount Rushmore?
- Why do we think of Abraham Lincoln as “honest Abe”?
- A good president has to be _________, __________, and __________
- What do you like about the current president?
- Why do we have a president and a vice president?
- Why is the vice president important?
- What other presidents should be featured on coins and bills?
- What would it be like to live in the white house?
- Is the president a good role model for students?
- Why is it important to have three branches of government – the president, congress and senate, and the judges?
- Who do you think should be the next president?
- The president symbolizes…
- What do you dislike about the current president?
- What should be the minimum age for the president? (currently is 35)
- Should the president only listen to the will of the people or use his own judgment?
- The most important thing a president can do is…
- What do you think George Washington and Abraham Lincoln would think if they saw America today?
- What would be the best thing about being president?
- How does the president represent America to other countries?
- Why is Abraham Lincoln one of the most important presidents in us history?
- What are some lessons we can learn from famous presidents?
- Is it important to respect the president even if you don’t agree with his or her politics?
- If you were running for president, how would you get people to vote for you?
- Students used to be required to memorize all of the presidents’ names in order. Do you think this is important for people to know?
- What is the worst thing a president could do?
- Do you think the current president is doing a good job?
- If you could have dinner with any president, alive or dead, who would it be and why?
- What is the most important thing a president does?
- Would you want to be the president?
- Why is the system of voting so important to America?
- Is it important for the president to support people of all political parties?
- For a person to be qualified to be the president, they should have to…
- Imagine a day in the life of the president
- Why is George Washington one of the most important presidents in us history?
- How long should a president be able to stay in office?
- The hardest thing about being president would be…
- Have you ever visited Washington D.C. Or the white house? If not, what do you think it is like?
- How would you make a hard choice if you were the president?
- If you could ask the president any question, what would it be?
There are many more journaling prompts and journal topics on this site, and more added every week, so be sure to visit us often.
Until next time, journal on…