Journaling Benefits and Topics to Write About— It might be time to face it: Your effectiveness in life may not what it could be. You’re missing out if as each day passes and you have little to show for it. Did you help someone yesterday? Go somewhere fun? Did you say something regretful and not apologize for it? Is there a decision you’d like to change?
While these answers may become a blur over time, what you do know is that you want to remember them. Keeping your decisions and choices etched into your memory bank can help you to avoid making the same mistakes again down the road. It can also help you to remember the aspects of your life that are well-lived.
To help you on this journey, we’ve crafted the following 64 interesting topics to write about in your journal. Use these interesting topics and prompts as a canvas to which you pour your thoughts onto. Whether you’re 8 or 80, the interesting topics to write about will help you have a better connection to your values, ideas, emotions, and experiences.
64 Interesting Topics to Write About
- Identify a moment in your life that made you feel like you had superpowers. What did you do exceptionally well? How did circumstances change as a result of your actions?
- How have you handled being the “new kid” in your lifetime?
- When you’re feeling powerful, what song best motivates you?
- What is your spirit animal?
- Dear Me in 5 Years…
- How has water impacted your life?
- What would you like to go back and tell a teacher from your past?
- Look at the following quotes and write whatever comes to mind when you read them:
- “Art is when you hear a knocking from your soul and you answer.” Star Richés
- “Whether you think you can or you can’t, either way you are right.” Henry Ford
- “Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.” Albert Einstein
- “You have to really believe not only in yourself; you have to believe the world is worth your sacrifices.” Zaha Hadid
- Name three things you’d do if you weren’t so afraid.
- If time flies, what does dreaming do?
- How do you deal with boredom?
- What colors are your thoughts?
- If your alarm clock could talk, what would it say?
- How does eating impact your time with friends? With family?
- What jokes, pranks, hoaxes, or tricks have you fallen for? What jokes, pranks, hoaxes, or tricks have you played on someone else?
- What is something about you that makes you dangerous?
- If you were to play hide and seek in your home, where would you hide and why?
- What do dogs say when they bark? What do roosters mean when they crow? How do you interpret a pig’s oink?
- Outside of your family, who is someone that has made a difference in your life?
- If you had your own talk show, who would you like to interview?
- If people knew the real you, what would they think?
- What fantastical creature would you like to have come alive?
- Are there any political issues that interest you?
- If you had your own talk show, who would you want to interview?
- How do you define family?
- What events have brought you and your family closer together?
- What was your parents’ life like before having children?
- What is special about the town or towns you grew up in?
- What are the sounds that make up the background noise of your life?
- What sounds irritate you?
- What is your favorite activity to do in the snow?
- What “urban legends” have you heard firsthand?
- If the color blue could speak, what would it say? How would it feel?
- When is your most productive time of day?
- What class do you wish students could take in school?
- Have you ever been addicted to something?
- What do you use your thumb for? How about your big toe?
- Is life fair?
- What goals and aspirations do you hope to fulfill in the next year?
- In a natural disaster, what three things would you grab first?
- What role does religion play in your life?
- What shape best describes you?
- What things did you create when you were younger?
- If you could meet any fictional character, who would it be? What would you want to do or discuss with this character?
- What was your favorite toy growing up?
- As a child, who is/was your favorite relative?
- Is there something you’re reluctant to tell someone? Write about it here to help you get started.
- Describe your first dance.
- When is the first time you felt truly independent or older than your age?
- Is it more important to be right or to be honest?
- What old, worn out thing can you simply not part with?
- Are you more like a hop scotch board or jump rope? Does your personality seem more like a bag of marbles or like a box of chalk?
- What messages do you keep repeating to yourself?
- Where did you like to hide when you were younger?
- What rites of passage have you participated in?
- What can older people learn from your generation?
- What can younger people learn from your generation?
- What ethical dilemmas have you faced?
- Are you proud of your accomplishments?
- If a photographer were to capture you in your most emotional moment, what would they see?
- How do male and female roles differ in your family?
- What does feminism mean to you?
- Have you ever felt like the minority in a group setting?
- Have you experienced racism, sexism, or other kinds of discrimination?
Until next time, keep on writing…
If you enjoyed these Interesting Topics to Write About,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator