Yes! You are invited to use our tips for writing topic sentences as well as the examples of topic sentences listed below to help your students perfect their paragraph writing skills.
From the time young students begin to learn to write their own sentences, they start to understand that every paragraph has a structure.
As they progress throughout elementary school, into middle school, and go onto high school, they build upon the skills that they have learned, and they realize that the topic sentence sets the stage for all of their writing.
Writing a Good Topic Sentence
It doesn’t matter what type of writing your students are working on, they are going to need to know how to create strong, informative topic sentences that introduce the concept that will be discussed in their paragraph.
Elementary students begin to work on simple topic sentences as they work on their first paragraphs. Middle school students learn that their topic sentence must express the main idea of the paragraph.
High school students are often writing topic sentences that are complex and detailed and that allows them to expound upon an in-depth topic within the body of the paragraph.
Purpose of a Topic Sentence
In addition to crafting strong topic sentences, students also need to realize that the first sentence of a paragraph must also be interesting and inviting.
They are literally pulling the reader in and encouraging them to learn more by reading the following sentence.
Every sentence that follows the topic sentence must support the overall theme and a well-developed and effective topic sentence will allow the paragraph to practically write itself. Further, writers will need to pay close attention to the content of a paragraph and to the transitions they use from the previous paragraph to the next.
Tips for Writing Topic Sentences
Initially, students may find it challenging to write a topic sentence in their own writing that captivates the attention of their reader.
Here are some tips and guidelines that can help them write their best topic sentences:
- Have your students start the process by writing down the topic that they want to discuss in their paragraph.
- Encourage them to write a simple sentence that introduces the main idea of their paragraph.
- Ask them to write down three ideas, examples, or arguments that support their topic sentence.
- Then, tell them to push their boundaries by rewriting the original topic sentence in order to grab the attention of the reader.
- Finally, show them examples of topic sentences that they can use for inspiration.
Examples of Topic Sentences for Elementary School Students
Elementary students often write simple topic sentences that focus solely on the main idea of the paragraph. Some examples of topic sentences for this age group include:
- When we had a snow day, I made snow angels, drank hot cocoa, and went sledding.
- Students should not have to do homework because it takes a lot of time.
- If you like going to the park, then you will love playing in the splash pad.
- Since I started first grade, I have learned about maps, explorers, and communities.
- Trying something new can be hard, but it is also rewarding.
- My favorite ice cream flavor is banana chocolate chip because it is sweet and delicious.
- Goldfish make a great first pet for young children.
- Riding my bicycle is my favorite after school activity.
- I believe that the most important classroom rule is to listen closely to the teacher.
- Science is the most interesting subject in school.
Middle School Examples of Topic Sentences
By middle school, students should begin to write more well-developed topic sentences that outline exactly what will be discussed in the following paragraph. Some examples of topic sentences for middle school students include:
- When playing basketball on a team, there are several rules that you will need to follow.
- Making an ice cream sundae is easy and fun, as long as you follow these simple steps.
- If you want to avoid getting a cold, you should take some of these precautions.
- The three-toed sloth is a fascinating animal with many unique features.
- I believe that our school should have a new vending machine, because it would help students make healthy choices.
- When I went to the museum, I learned about the pharaohs of Ancient Egypt.
- The best rides at the amusement park are the rollercoasters that go upside down.
- Although some people think tacos are the most delicious meal, I personally prefer to eat pasta.
- While there are differences between taking a beach vacation and a ski trip, there are some similarities as well.
- On my first day of middle school, I quickly realized that it was going to be very different from my elementary years.
Examples of Topic Sentences for High School Students
In high school, students have perfected the art of writing a complete topic sentence and they begin creating more complex and intricate sentences that they can use to anchor the entire paragraph. Some examples of topic sentences for high school students include:
- When I sat down to dinner with my grandmother, I knew that I was going to learn so much more about her past.
- College admissions officers should be considering more than grades; they should also be reviewing a student’s interests, job experience, and extra-curricular activities.
- Climate change is a complex issue that is being caused by a variety of factors.
- As high school students, it is our responsibility to set a good example for younger children who look up to us.
- The three best attractions in New York City include the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, and Times Square.
- Learning a new language allows you to connect with people from another culture, to boost your reading and writing skills, and to improve your memory function.
- In this book, the main character learned more about who she was by pushing her boundaries and trying new things.
- For me, ice skating has always been a way to stay active, express myself, and connect with other people who love the sport.
- On our senior trip, we volunteered with a local organization to clean up the nearby parks, and it was a rewarding experience that taught me the value of hard work and giving back to the community.
- The best place to do your homework and prepare for exams is the local coffee shop, because it offers a quiet atmosphere and plenty of caffeine.
A Few Closing Thoughts
With the right examples of topic sentences, you can help your students discover that the paragraph writing process is anything but boring. Whether they’re writing a narrative essay, contrast essay, or a college entrance essay, strong topic sentences set the tone for the rest of the paragraph.
When they practice their skills and learn how to write compelling and effective topic sentences, they will realize the power that their words can hold. They might even discover that writing is fun! As long as they keep on writing, their writing will continue to improve!
111 More Free Writing Prompts
- 20 Paragraph Writing Topics for K-12
- 16 Technical Writing Prompts for Students
- 35 Marvelous Paragraph Starters to Use in Your Classroom
- 40 Incredible Introduction Sentence Starters for Students
Until next time, keep on writing…
If you enjoyed these Examples of Topic Sentences by Grade Level,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator
PS Check out this helpful resource —> Teaching Paragraph Writing: Topic Sentences