Looking for great summer writing ideas for 2nd-grade students?
Summer offers second graders a lot to do, enjoy, and write about. Below, we present some neat summer writing ideas for kids. By having your child complete just a few writing tasks throughout the summer, they can become a better reader and writer.
Best of all, they may have a leg-up in these skills when returning to school in the fall.
We have three fabulous ones to share with you, and we hope you agree that the summer writing ideas for second graders outlined below are interactive, creative, and fun. Check them out and enjoy! OK, without further ado here are some writing ideas for your second grade child.
Summer Writing for 2nd Grade
Summer Writing Idea #1 — Start a Journal
Start a summer journal. In it, ask your child to write about their favorite activities of summer. If a child has a memorable day swimming, for instance, ask them to write about it.
Further, ask kids about their favorite summery things or ask them to draw and write about how the earth seems to change from spring to summer and then to fall and winter. You can even ask the child to write down their favorite seasonal recipes, or how to start a garden. At the end of the summer, this makes a great keepsake.
Summer Writing Idea #2 — Get a Pen Pal
Pen pals are the writing gift that keeps on giving. Start with a simple prompt: ask your child to write about who they are, where they are from, and their friends. Then, find another 2nd-grade child to send the letter to (it is best to pair with someone you know so they will write back).
Remember to provide your child with subsequent writing ideas to write their pen pal about. This can include writing about a happy memory, telling the pen pal what they look for in friends, or sharing thoughts about an event.
Summer Writing Idea #3 — Use Your Imagination
There are lots of ways to get creative and use one’s imagination when writing during the summer time.
For example, ask your child to write a summer-themed story about their best friend or about their pet. Or, have the child write about some of these ideas:
- What do they think would happen if holidays that happen in other seasons took place in summer?
- What is their dream treehouse?
- Even if you can’t go on vacation or to the beach, you can still have your child write about what it would be like to do those things.
- You can also ask them to imagine a day in 3rd grade in anticipation of the next school year.
Summer Writing Prompts
Need more writing idea inspirations for your second grader? Well, here are 17 prompts from our summer writing ideas list. To view the full list of 37 Summer Writing Ideas.
- What’s the most important thing you would like to do this summer?
- Summertime great for the outdoors. Go for a walk. Write a sentence about the walk you went on.
- What is your favorite thing to do when you play outdoors in the summer?
- What is your favorite thing to do when you play inside? Why do you play inside in the summertime?
- If you could go on a summer vacation anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- Make a list of groceries that you think mom or dad should buy for you from the store.
- Tell about an animal you would like to have for a pet.
- What would you do if there was a dragon stuck under your bed?
- What is the funniest thing that you have ever seen?
- What is something you would like to learn more about?
- What kind of pet do you think a teacher should get for their classroom?
- What is the best movie you have ever seen?
- Tell about your most favorite book.
- Tell about your favorite holiday. Explain why it is your favorite.
- Tell about your favorite restaurant. Why is it your favorite?
- Write a poem about what you think next school year will be like.
- What is something you love about yourself and why?
Happy summer, and remember to write on…
If you enjoyed these Summer Writing for 2nd Grade ideas and prompts,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator