50 Pen Pal Prompts for Summer (and Beyond!)— If you or your writers need things to tell your pen pal, things to ask your pen pal, or fun pen pal questions, we have them here. Yes! We have 50 brand-new and fabulous pen pal prompts just for you. Take a look and enjoy.
Pen Pals Can Make Fond Memories for Life
It’s true that many people have fond memories from their childhood of receiving letters from their pen pal and excitedly opening up each envelope. Yet, writing to a pal isn’t just for kids nor just for summer.
Summer is the perfect time to find a pen-pal, especially if you don’t already have one.
Pen pals are for everyone all year round. ? Check this out—> My aunt has written to her Pen Pal in England for more than 50 years. How cool is that?!
In today’s world, I think it’s more important than ever to pass on this fun writing tradition to your kids, the kids in your class, or yourself.
Finding a Pen Pal and National Pen Pal Day
Both kids and adults can enjoy this fun writing activity. Perhaps you already you have someone in mind who would like to partner with and write to through the summer and beyond. That someone could be a classmate or friend, a new person you’d like to develop a friendship with, a soldier, astronaut or author, or perhaps a niece, nephew, cousin, or grandchild.
Note: See the links and resources listed at the end of the post to discover 9 safe ways for kids to find pen pals.
Plus, June 1st is National Pen Pal Day. “People around the world celebrate Pen Pal Day… The rich tradition of making pen pals continues even today despite social media. People love writing and reading letters from friends.“
If you are a teacher, educator, or homeshcooler, use these pen pal ideas for students. Or, if you are a parent who would like to encourage your kids to select and write to a pen pal, you can give them this list of pen pal prompts to inspire them as they write their letters.
Now get to it and use our list of ideas to write a letter to your pal today. The following list of questions is good for people of all ages to get to know their pen pal!
50 (Snail Mail) Pen Pal Prompts for Summer and Beyond
- What is your favorite show on Netflix?
- What is your home town? How many times have you moved in your life?
- Are you more of an introvert or an extrovert?
- Who are your role models? (From real life or fiction?)
- What is your guilty pleasure?
- Do you think you mostly have good luck or bad luck and why?
- What is your favorite holiday and what traditions do you have associated with it?
- What is your favorite nickname and how did it come about?
- If a movie was made about your life, what celebrity would play you?
- What food do you dislike the most? What could someone do to persuade you to eat it?
- If you could choose to have pizza every day for the rest of your life for free, would you do it?
- What is your favorite Disney movie? What is your favorite quote from it?
- If you could choose to wake up tomorrow and be a professional actor or actress, would you?
- What is one of the bad habits you want to get rid of and what habit do you want to create to replace it?
- Are you more of an early bird or a night owl? What do you like about the morning or the night?
- What is your dream job and why are you interested in it?
- What destination is at the very top of your travel bucket list?
- What is your funniest embarrassing story?
- Is there any fictional character that you strongly identify with?
- Where is a place that makes you feel completely comfortable? How does it make you so comfortable?
- What is the last movie you watched? Write a short review.
- Who do you feel the most “yourself” with?
- If you were going to make a time capsule to represent this time in your life, what would you put into it, and what do those items mean to you?
- What is your favorite color and how long has it been your favorite color?
- If you had to get 2 tattoos this weekend, what tattoos would they be? Where would you put them?
- What is your favorite thing to do when you hang out with friends?
- Do you have any piercings? Where are they?
- What is your favorite number? How did you choose it?
- What was one of the best days of your life?
- What is/was your favorite school subject and what is your favorite thing to do in that subject?
- What is your favorite kind of makeup?
- What is your favorite snack at the movie theater?
- Are you a good singer or not so much?
- What is your favorite flower to see outdoors and why?
- If you could only choose 3 people to be stuck on a desert island with, who would you choose? Why would you choose them?
- What is the best book you have ever read? Do you think I would like it, too?
- What was your most memorable birthday party and why?
- What was your first pet or what would you like to have for your first pet?
- What is your favorite ice cream flavor?
- If you won the lottery, what would you spend your money on?
- What is your most ideal super power?
- What words would you use to describe your fashion style?
- Do you believe in ghosts? Do you have any good ghost stories?
- What is a fun fact that most people don’t know about you?
- What was your favorite TV show as a little kid?
- What is a funny memory that makes you laugh every time?
- What is your favorite season? Why?
- What is your personal superpower? What are you extremely good at?
- What was the last book you read and would you recommend it? Write me a short review.
- What is the best tasting holiday food?
I hope you enjoyed this list of pen pal writing prompts.
A Few Final Words on Summer Writing with a Pen Pal
Hopefully, these conversation starters can help everyone get a head start on building a relationship with their pen pals.
Maintaining some relationships over the summer can be tough when you’re a kid, but with a little inspiration and elbow grease, they can keep those friendships going. Take a look at these 55 Inspiring Letter Ideas for Kids for more fun topics to write to about, too!
Until next time, write on…
Journal Buddies Jill