Third Grade Creative Writing Topics List — Writing prompts are a wonderful tool to help inspire and get young students writing regularly and to jumpstart their self-expression. Now, with these 10 excellent creative writing topics for grade 3 students, you can encourage your kids to think and write outside the box. So get to it and take a look now. Oh yeah!
Writing offers many benefits to students, but the ability to explore new worlds is undoubtedly one of the most important.
Whether they’re writing creatively or considering a topic of personal reflection, writing improves critical thinking skills and encourages imagination.
For your more reluctant writers, scroll down the page to discover our favorites list of prompts and 5 helpful creative writing tips for kids.
Ok, without further ado, here are those creative writing topics for third graders. Enjoy!
10 Creative Writing Topics for Grade 3
- Imagine that you suddenly have the ability to talk to animals. Which animals would you chat with first? What would you say to them? What do you think they would say to you?
- Write about a time when you were accused of doing something that you didn’t do. How did you defend yourself? Did the other person believe you? How did their response make you feel?
- What is your most prized possession in the entire world? Why is it so special to you?
- Write a brief description of the most memorable dream you’ve ever had. Then, write a story in which you make up your own creative ending to the dream.
- Think of someone whom you consider to be a hero. What makes this person heroic?
- What is the best toy you’ve ever played with? What is so great about it? Do you think your other classmates would also enjoy playing with it?
- What would happen if everything switched and kids were in charge of running the world? What would change? What would stay the same? Would things be better or worse—and why?
- Who is your biggest inspiration? Write about the person whom you most admire, and explain what makes him or her so special.
- One day, you go outside and all of the grass and trees have turned into an ice cream sundae world. What is the first thing you would do? Write a story about how you would spend the day.
- Why is it so important to treat others as we want to be treated? Write about a time when you applied the Golden Rule to an interaction with one of your friends, classmates, or siblings, and explain what happened.
I hope you enjoyed this list of creative writing topics for Grade 3. These ideas are good for elementary school writing class, journal keeping, or inspiring a short story.
The “Favorite Things” List of Prompts for 3rd Graders
For those reluctant writers or non-writers, we suggest you use the time-tested favorite writing prompts. They are simple ideas that nearly every writer can answer without much effort. Plus, they are an excellent way to get those creative writing juices flowing for writers of all skill levels.
Have students write about their:
- Favorite foods
- Favorite place
- Favorite song
- Favorite book
- Favorite toy
- Favorite game or video game
- Favorite season
- Favorite holiday
- Favorite movie
- Favorite animal
- Favorite pet or best pet
- Favorite book characters
The favorites are easy ideas to help your writers warm up or get in the mood to write a more in-depth assignment.
A few more great writing ideas are to write about your best friend, most desired superpower, a gift you’d love to receive, or a dream vacation you hope to take one day.
Now see this!
179 More 3rd Grade Writing Prompts & Related Resources
- 30 Creative writing prompts, topic, and ideas for third graders
- 98 Story Writing Prompts for Kids
- 51 Story Starters
Now, let’s quickly explore…
5 Creative Writing Tips for Kids
The following five tips get the creativity flowing and encourage kids to think outside the page.
- Promote New Experiences
- Don’t Worry about Perfection
- Write about What You Love
- Focus on the Senses
- Set Small Goals
Read more about these 5 creative writing tips for kids and check out this –> 3rd Grade Creative Writing Lesson Plan
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Creative Writing Topics for Grade 3,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator
A Few More Creative Writing Insights
When students write on a regular basis, they gain more confidence in their schoolwork and in their own ideas. Indeed, creative writing is a powerful way to empower your students both inside and outside of the classroom.
Moreover, encouraging children to think imaginatively and at the same time allowing them to practice their creative writing skills can lead to many positive outcomes such as increased self-esteem and self-confidence and a deeper understanding of oneself and one’s skills.
Creative writing is also a powerful activity for young students that can encourage them to open their minds to new possibilities and to become more comfortable expressing their own thoughts and opinions. However, for many children, getting started is the hardest part. For a child who is not used to writing, learning how to press the pen to the page when inspiration isn’t readily flowing can be an extreme challenge.
Creative writing sounds inherently as though it should be easy—after all, the word “creative” expresses a sense of freedom and possibility that other, more restrictive forms of writing don’t have. However, sometimes the lack of boundaries makes it even more difficult to begin writing.
Kids are sometimes confused by assignments that don’t have many rules and they may struggle to begin writing creatively. This is why we suggest using the awesome creative writing topics for Grade 3 listed above.
Ok, that’s all for today.
PS Check out this excellent resource of Creative writing printable worksheets 3rd grade.