Anyone, regardless of age, can write, but sometimes you struggle to come up with a great idea to get you started. With a good starting point, your imagination and creativity can soar, and you can let your inner writer shine. Yet where can you find some great ideas to get the creative juices pumping? Start with this list of creative writing ideas that appeal to people of all ages.
With the right prompt to start your writing project, you will soon see that you have a writer inside. Whether you use these prompts for your own writing goals or take them to your classroom for your students, these writing prompts will help you start turning your thoughts, feelings, and ideas into written words.
Stretch your perspective, expand your imagination, and start writing with these creative writing ideas for people of all ages.
Whether you’re 8 or 80, these creative writing ideas will give you a good place to jump-start your writing as you explore your ideas, thoughts, and feelings.
40 Creative Writing Ideas for All Ages
- If you could meet any person alive today, who would it be and why?
- Imagine you woke up in another country. Describe everything around you, including the sights, sounds, and smells.
- Create a story of your own that uses these words: brown, apple and riding.
- What is your favorite place in your town besides your home? Why do you like going there?
- What is your favorite holiday? What do you love about it? How does it make you feel?
- Describe your favorite food, in detail.
- Pick a type of precipitation (rain, snow, hail, etc.). Do you like it? How do you feel when it falls?
- Write about a time you felt the feeling of deja vu (the feeling that you have already been in this place and done this thing).
- If you could travel to any country in the world, except the one you live in, which would you choose?
- Describe your dream job.
- What do you love about staying in a hotel? What do you hate?
- What’s your favorite television show? What can you learn from it?
- What’s the funniest thing that has ever happened to you while you were eating a meal?
- What makes you feel sad that does not make other people feel sad? Why does it make you feel this way?
- If you could go back in time to meet someone from history that is not in your family, who would you choose and why?
- What would your life look like without a computer, phone or tablet?
- What’s the best thing about going camping? What’s the worst thing?
- What do you think of first when you think of the color green? What do you like or dislike about that?
- Your house is on fire. All the people and animals are safe, but you have time to save one non-living item. What is it and why?
- If you asked your friends what your best quality was, what would they say? Why?
- Which is better, to be loved or to be respected? Why?
- If you could be intelligent and poor or wealthy and simple-minded, which would you choose? Why?
- You walk into a room and smell apples. What do you think of first?
- What is your favorite scent or smell? What does it remind you of?
- You are going to have to live on a deserted island, but you can take one famous person, one type of food and one book. Describe your choices and why you chose them.
- If you were president, what would be the first law you would make?
- You have found a genie in a bottle and can make one wish. You make a great one, but unfortunately, it didn’t work out as expected. Describe your wish and the hilarious results.
- What things did you do when you were younger that you wish you could still do now?
- Do you feel that your name fits your personality? If you could choose a different name, what would it be and why?
- Describe a perfect Saturday afternoon with activities that don’t involve electronics.
- Do you prefer to be hot or cold? Why?
- What’s the worst smell in the world? Why?
- Sweet or salty? Why?
- What was the last book you loved? What character was the most like you?
- Describe a day when you woke up and found you were invisible.
- The most frightened I have ever been in my life was when . . .
- Describe a time when something bad happened, but you found out it had a good side too.
- The one thing most people don’t understand about me is . . .
- The one thing most people notice first about me is . . . .
- If you were asked to make up an ice cream flavor, what would it be?
Until next time, keep on writing!!
If you enjoyed these Creative Writing Ideas,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator