Personal Journal Ideas— Keeping a personal journal is a wonderful way for kids (and adults!) to catalog their thoughts and better understand themselves. Processing your experiences, emotions, and thoughts can cleanse your mind and soul and give you a better view of your circumstances, emotions, and desires.
Better yet, science backs up the advantages of journaling and supports the idea that writing has the potential to benefit both physical and emotional wellbeing.
Most exciting of all, keeping a personal journal may help improve mood, boost the immune system, and reduce stress.
The personal journal ideas listed below will allow you to reflect on your life and create a plan to help you improve yourself in the future. When journaling becomes a daily habit, you will quickly find that your stress and frustrations will begin to dissipate.
Free Personal Journaling Ideas Printable (for kids)
The bottom line is that not only is journaling a fun way to put your ideas down on paper, but it also can actually be quite therapeutic. For those who want to transform journaling from an assignment to a hobby, here are some personal journal ideas to get you started.
15 Personal Journal Ideas for Everyone
- Identify three goals that you have for this month and write about how you are going to accomplish those goals.
- Consider a challenge that you recently overcame. Write an entry about what you did well during that challenging time and things you could improve upon in the future.
- Write about what you are most grateful for at this very moment.
- Describe your favorite way to spend your free time. Come up with techniques to allow you to spend more time doing this special activity.
- Write about someone who influenced you during your formative years. How did they impact your life then? How do they impact your life today?
- Write down one word that would best describe your life right now. Consider that word and write a journal entry exploring why you chose that word.
- Identify the best part of your day and the worst part of your day. How do the two reconcile one another?
- Think about a person who you miss very much. Write a journal entry about everything you would like to say to them at this moment.
- Consider when you feel the most energized during the day. Why do you think that is? Write about ways you can increase your energy and boost your mood throughout the entire day.
- Write a detailed report about your normal routine. Are you happy with your current routine? Should you stick with a consistent routine in the future? What changes could you make?
- Think about your life today. Is this what you expected your life to be like five years ago? Is it better or worse than you anticipated? In what ways can you improve?
- What did you want to be when you grew up? Did you go into the profession that you dreamed about as a child? If so, are you satisfied? If not, what made you change your career path?
- If you could change one thing about your life today, what would it be? How do you think it would impact your life overall?
- Where do you hope to be one year from now? Write down some steps you can take to work toward that goal.
- Write a detailed entry about when and where you feel most like yourself. How can you continue to improve your self-confidence?
Personal Journal for Kids Links & Resources
- Daily Journal Ideas
- 51 Exciting Things to Write About in a Journal
- 38 Diary Writing Topics for Kids
- 10 Journals to Boost Your Childs Emotional Intelligence
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Personal Journal Ideas,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator
Personal Journal Ideas to Inspire Young Writers
Any time of year is a great time for anyone, young or old, to start (or continue) journaling. There is so much you can learn about yourself through journal writing and the benefits of it are well known.
Below is a listing of 25 fun, personal journal topics for kids. We hope these ideas inspire some insights and A-ha’s or spark some imaginative new stories.
Here’s to a wonderful journal filled with much goodness, joy, love, and writing!
25 Fun Personal Journal Ideas to Inspire Kids Writing
- Write a letter to your ____ grade teacher. Tell him/her about yourself and what you’d like to accomplish in the New Year.
- I hope to learn about____ this year because…
- Which place would you most like to visit–Africa, China, Alaska–why?
- Tell five things you’d like to do on your next birthday.
- Imagine a friend of yours is considering doing something really bad. What would you tell that friend to persuade him or her not to do that?
- In 20 years, I will be…
- Tell about an event in your life that has caused a change in you.
- I was most angry when…
- Describe your perfect vacation.
- My worst mistake was…
- If you and your best friend could have a free limo for 24 hours, where would you go and what would you do?
- You have the freedom to travel to any city or country in the world. Where would you go and why?
- I love learning about…
- Saturday mornings are great for…
- My favorite subject is___ because…
- Kids like me because_____
- If you were principal of this school, what would you do?
- If you were a mouse in your house in the evening, what would you see your family doing?
- What do you like about where you live?
- Apples are fun to eat. List things that you can do with apples.
- If I could go around planting a fruit it would be… Tell me why.
- As the clock struck twelve…
- If I could fly…
- There were three __________ (ghosts, monsters, wild animals…) and they….
- Write down an acrostic poem about New Years Day.