Do you need things to write ideas? We have them for you! Or, if you are wondering, “What should I write about?” This is a question every writer asks themself at some point or another. Well, take heart ? because our 150 writing ideas will help you (and your writers). After all, for many, the words flow easily once they’ve begun writing—it’s getting started that’s the hardest part!
Finding Inspiration with Writing Prompts
Coming up with fresh ideas can be tough, no matter what type of writing you’re doing. That’s why we love journal prompts and story starters so much: sometimes a simple sentence is all you need to kickstart your creative juices. These ideas are helpful for overcoming writer’s block as well.
To help you get started, we’ve compiled a huge new list of ideas to write about for all sorts of writing situations you may find yourself in. Whether you want to create a short story, begin journaling, or simply explore the list of ideas and fun new topics, we’ve got you covered with 150 new things to write about below.
Have fun checking out these brand new journal topics and fun things to write about. Hopefully, they will help you become a better writer and give you a new angle or different angle to help you (re-) discover your own voice. And who knows… perhaps one of these ideas will become your book idea. Now, happy writing!
Schedule some time right now to grab your favorite notebook, journal, or writing app and get to journal right now. Or, integrate these ideas into your next writing lesson plan for your students. However you use these prompts, I just know you’ll be glad you did!
What Should I Write About for a Story? Prompts to Help You Begin
- Write a story about someone who wakes up with no idea who they are.
- Write a story about a young boy who is watching the clouds—when suddenly he sees one that is in the shape of a familiar face…
- Write a story about a surfer who discovers something mysterious on the beach.
- Create a story about a humorous misunderstanding that happens when one person mishears another person.
- Write a story about a pair of best friends who can literally read one another’s minds.
- Write a story about a young girl who is fed up with the way people see her.
- … a doctor with an unusual method of diagnosing patients.
- Write a story about a piece of artwork that looks different to everyone who views it.
- Write a story about a chef who has food allergies and can’t sample any of the meals he cooks.
- Write a story about a soccer player who shocks the world one day by announcing she is going back to school to become a lawyer instead.
- Write a story about a group of birds flying south for the winter.
- Write a story about a young brother and sister who spend the summer on their grandparents’ farm.
- Write a story about someone who works as a mascot for the local football team.
- Write a story about a group of students who want to improve their community.
- Write a story about a young girl who stands up to her bully.
- Write a story about a young boy who learns to play the trumpet.
- Write a story about a friendship that changes through the years.
- Write a story about a huge thunderstorm.
- Write a story about a sports team that keeps tying and can’t seem to win or lose.
- Write a story about a zookeeper who gets in trouble for having a favorite animal.
- Write a story about a family tradition that has been passed down for more than eight generations.
- Write a story about an old amusement park that is still in business.
- Create a story about a hidden secret in the ocean.
- Write a story about a pilot who has traveled to more than 100 countries.
- Write a story about a family that is moving out of the home they’ve lived in for many years.
- Write a story about a cat with a secret hidden talent.
- Write a story about a private detective who isn’t very good at his job.
- Write a story about a woman who makes up different names and backstories every time she meets someone new.
- Write a story about a grandma who decides to take up ballet.
- Write a story about a piano player who thinks in melodies and song lyrics.
Things to Write About
- Has there even been a time when you experienced unbelievable luck?
- Do you believe animal testing is ethical? Why or why not?
- What does it mean to you to be a good person?
- Who is your favorite person to talk to? How do they make you feel?
- Are you optimistic? Do you wish you were more or less of an optimist than you are? Why?
- Write about one area of your life in which you could improve.
- Describe the most embarrassing moment you’ve ever experienced. Do you think other people noticed what happened? What did you do to get over it?
- How important is honesty to you?
- What is the one quality you must have in a romantic partner?
- Would you rather spend a weekend off at home watching TV or outside doing something active? Why?
- What do you believe in above all else?
- How do you know when you’re really tired and in need of a break?
- Do you consider yourself a good person? Why or why not?
- Have you ever had to end a friendship or other relationship? What happened?
- If you had a private plane, where would you travel to? Who would get to come with you?
- Do you ever wish you had more or less siblings? Why?
- What does it mean to you to be successful?
- Do you think your parents support the decisions you make? Why or why not?
- Be honest with yourself…are you a judgmental or an accepting person? Why?
- Write about a time when you made the right choice in a difficult situation.
- What is the hardest thing you’ve ever done?
- If there were a fire in your home and you could only save three of your possessions, what would you save? Why?
- Would you rather be a famous athlete or a movie star? Why?
- What do you do when you are tired but still have a lot of work to finish?
- What does independence mean to you? Do you consider yourself an independent person? Why or why not?
- Write about something scary that happened to you when you were younger.
- Write about a time when you felt unprepared.
- Write about the first time you realized that your parents are human beings who can make mistakes, too.
- Where do you find inspiration?
- Choose a famous quote, and then write about whether you agree or disagree with it.
Things to Journal About
- Do you like change? Why or why not?
- If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?
- Write about three things that you are good at.
- Would you ever want to go to space? Why or why not?
- What is your dream car? What color would you choose? What features would it have inside?
- What is one thing you could do this week to improve your life?
- How do you know when it’s time to move on from a bad situation in your life?
- What qualities make someone a good friend?
- Which holiday do you think is overrated? Why?
- What is the most unbelievable thing that has ever happened to you?
- What would you do if you knew it would work out just the way you wanted?
- Write about a time when you were afraid to do something—but did it anyway.
- Write about a time when you helped someone else with something they were struggling with.
- Write about a time when you felt confident and like you could do anything.
- Do you believe people can change? Why or why not?
- What types of things do you do regularly to care for the environment? Do you feel like you could do more? Why or why not?
- What is the best way to tell someone a difficult truth?
- Where do you like to go when you need a little peace and quiet from the rest of the world?
- Write about a role model in your life who shaped the way you see the world.
- Do you put pressure on yourself to achieve certain things in your life? Does the pressure motivate you or cause you stress?
- Write about a time when you met a goal after a lot of hard work.
- Think of someone you haven’t seen in many years. How would you feel if you ran into them tomorrow at the grocery store?
- Do you like being the center of attention? Why or why not?
- What is your greatest fear in the world? Why?
- Write about a person who made an unexpected impact on your life.
- What is your favorite way to exercise?
- What irritates you more than anything else? Why does it bother you so much?
- Write about something that most people would be surprised to learn about you.
- Do you consider yourself to be a truthful person? Why or why not?
- Do you believe the average person has a responsibility to society? Why or why not?
Things to Write About for Fun
- Imagine that you get to stay in a fancy hotel by yourself for the weekend. What would you do there?
- At a party, are you more likely to spend the evening out on the dance floor or sitting somewhere engrossed in conversation?
- Do you prefer fruits or vegetables? Why?
- If you could live in any other time period, which would you choose? Why?
- Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?
- Who is your best friend in the world? What makes him or her so special?
- What is your favorite type of fashion? Why does it appeal to you?
- Write a poem about the color green.
- Write about the last movie you saw without mentioning anything that could be considered a spoiler.
- Think of your earliest childhood memory—and then write a poem about it.
- What is the craziest thing that has ever happened to you? How did you respond in the moment?
- What is your favorite thing to splurge on?
- Write about the best day you’ve ever had.
- Write about a time when you made a big change in your life—-and what happened next.
- What was your favorite game to play when you were a kid?
- Do you believe in miracles? Why or why not?
- If you were a teacher, what kind of teacher would you be? What lessons would you share with your students?
- What would you do if you won the lottery tomorrow?
- What type of encouragement did you receive as a child? How do you think this affected you?
- What is the most important thing you ever learned in school?
- What is your favorite place to go on the weekends? What do you like best about it?
- What is your favorite book? Who is your favorite character in it? Why?
- What would you do if you suddenly had to move across the country?
- What is something that is always guaranteed to bring you joy?
- Write about the best meal you ever had, using as much detail as possible.
- What is the greatest gift you’ve ever received? What made it so special?
- What is the kindest thing another person has ever done for you?
- Write about your favorite game and describe a fond memory you have of playing it.
- What is your greatest dream in life?
- Who is the most interesting person you’ve ever met? What did you learn from them?
- Write an impassioned argument about an insignificant opinion you hold.
- What is the best Halloween costume you ever had?
- Do you exercise regularly? Why or why not?
- Would you ever go out in public wearing pajama pants? Why or why not?
- Do you wear a watch? Why or why not?
- What is the most nourishing part of your daily routine?
- If you had to eat one food every day for the rest of your life, what would you choose? Do you think you’d ever get tired of it?
- Do you think people should celebrate more or less holidays? Why?
- What is your favorite thing in the world that is purple?
- Do you enjoy telling stories to other people? Why or why not?
- Write a review of your favorite local restaurant.
- Write about someone whom you respect and explain why you admire them.
- If you were a bird and could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? What would you see?
- Would you rather have a million dollars or free lunches for the rest of your life? Why?
- Write about a favorite childhood memory with your parents.
- What is the best snack food in the world?
- Think of a random word…and then write about it!
- Imagine that you are listening to the radio one day, when suddenly you hear that someone has dedicated the next song to you…
- What do you know about your great-grandparents? Write about their lives.
- Write about your favorite movie and describe why you like it so much.
- Write about a favorite holiday memory, telling the story with as much detail as possible.
- Have you ever accidentally sent someone a text message or email that wasn’t meant for them? What did you do?
- What would you do if you woke up one day and looked in the mirror to find you were in a stranger’s body?
- If you had to design a flag to represent yourself, what would you put on it?
- Would you rather live on a beautiful estate in the country or in a swanky high-rise apartment in the city? Why?
- What is your sleeping schedule like? Do you feel like you are well-rested? Why or why not?
- If you could invent your own new recipe, what would it be? What ingredients would you start with?
- What is your favorite type of flower?
- If you could speak any other language in the world, which would you choose? Why?
- What is the first thing you would do if you were elected president?
I hope you enjoyed these topic ideas and find them useful. Above all, I hope these lists inspired you to create not only a journal entry but also a daily writing habit. Doing so will serve you well, I promise.
More Writing Resources
- 64 Interesting Topics
- 53 Popular Topics *by social shares
- 30 Ideas to Inspire Fiction Writers
- 35 Humor Writing Prompts
- More What to Write Ideas
- Writing Process Steps
If you enjoyed this blog post What Should I Write About and Things to Write About ideas,
please share them on social media via Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator