Let’s explore some fantastic fictional story ideas. Yes! When students write fictional stories in elementary school and middle school, they naturally tend to focus more on the plot and the progression of the story. But high school students tend to have a more nuanced understanding of the genre and how the plot is so often driven by characters and the emotions that influence them.
That means that fiction writing in high school tends to have higher stakes—and very often, much higher payoffs! With that in mind, we’ve created 33 fictional story ideas for high school students that encourage them to make up their own characters, places, and plots.
Of course, writers of any age interested in this genre will also find inspiration from these ideas.
Each prompt starts out with a seemingly simple-sounding premise… but as your students begin to write and explore their characters and worlds, they’ll discover how much more there truly is.
For instance, a simple prompt about a group of teens who manage to pull off an elaborate practical joke can be taken in countless directions. Will your students focus on the teamwork required to coordinate and execute the plan—or perhaps explore the effects on the joke’s recipient (who may or may not have found it funny)?
Ok, get to it and…
Use these all-new fictional story prompts to help your high school students improve their writing and explore the power of storytelling. Above all, enjoy!
33 Fresh Fictional Story Ideas for High School Students to Explore
Get kids creative juices flowing and get them writing with these good fictional ideas. A good story is about to emerge. Oh yeah.
- Write a fictional story about a clock with the power to tell something other than the normal time.
- Write a fictional story about a teen who creates a viral video.
- Write a fictional story about a young woman working as a highly trained secret spy on a quest to save the world.
- Write a fictional story about a town preparing for a big storm.
- Write a fictional story about a week where the entire Internet goes down.
- Write a made-up story about a girl who decides to create an entirely new identity for herself.
- Write a fictional story about a group of people living in a remote village.
- Write a fiction story about an elderly couple who aren’t totally satisfied with how their lives have turned out—so they take off on a wild adventure to travel the world.
- Write a fiction story about an art dealer who comes across a very unusual piece.
- Write a fiction story about someone watching a sunset in their backyard when to their surprise thy see dragons in the sky.
- Write a about an unidentified patient who wakes up in the hospital with amnesia. The patient has no idea who he or she is, and no one is able to tell him or her.
- Write a fiction story about a college student who decides to run for public office.
- Write a fictional story about a student who is called to the office one day and told that an anonymous donor wishes to cover his or her college tuition.
- Write about an unusual case of mistaken identity.
- Write a fictional story about a group of teens who manage to pull off an elaborate practical joke.
- Write a fictional story about a town where the people come up with some unusual stories to explain a strange local monument.
- Write a fictional story about a family that celebrates their own made-up holidays.
- Write a fictional story about a boy who faces peer pressure and ridicule when he begins to take ballet classes.
- Write a fictional story about a party where things go horribly, horribly awry.
- Write a fictional story about a siblings with a unique after-school job.
- Write a fictional story about two estranged family members who run into each other after many years apart.
- Write a thriller story about a scientist who arrives for his first day at his new job… only to discover it’s not what he thought he’d signed up for.
- Write a fictional story about a couple who first met in kindergarten getting married.
- Write a mystery story about a babysitter who is alarmed by what she finds while snooping through her employer’s house.
- Write a fictional short story about a group of friends spending the night camping by a lake.
- Write a fictional story about a family whose relationships are changed forever when the contents of their grandmother’s will are revealed.
- Write a fictional story about a teenager who has a unique relationship with religion.
- Write an historical fiction story about a farmer who is having trouble making ends meet.
- Write a fictional story of a billionaire who buys his or her own private island.
- Write a story with a man as the main character who stops at the same coffee shop every single morning.
- Write a sci-fi fictional story about a group of people working very hard to save the environment on planet earth. Consider including aliens, time travel, dimension shifts and more interesting details such as these in the story.
- Write a fantasy story about someone who lives with synesthesia and explore how he or she might experience the world.
- Write a story with a college professor vampire as the protagonist who decides it’s time for a dramatic career change.
I hope the fictional story creative writing prompts in this blog post bring you much inspiration and creativity.
Now check out even…
148 More Fictional Story Ideas & Prompts for You
- 35 Fiction Writing Prompts for Teens
- 30 Fiction Writing Ideas for Middle School Students
- 42 Flash Fiction Prompts
- 20 Character Writing Prompts for Fiction Writers
- 21 Superhero Writing Prompts
- 18 Fun and Easy Mystery Story Ideas
- More Fiction Prompts – Ideas for Stories
Ok, that’s all for today. I hope you enjoy the magic of writing fiction, from science fiction to romance, your next great story is just waiting to be written. Who knows, maybe you’ll even become a famous novel writer one day. Now that would be amazing!
Until next time, write and journal on…
If you enjoyed these Fictional Story Ideas,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator