Diary Writing Ideas for Kids — Writing is fun! It’s even more fun when you have fabulous writing ideas to help you along with your creative process. I hope you and your kids are writing on a regular — even daily — basis. Why? Here’s why! Daily diary writing (or journaling) has many fabulous benefits. There are health benefits, skill-building benefits, and self-improvement benefits. Here are the top five benefits to writing in a diary or journal.
Writing in a Diary Helps Kids to:
- Clarify their thoughts and feelings
- Know themselves better
- Reduce stress
- Solve problems more effectively
- Resolve disagreements with others
Now you agree that those are some fabulous benefits to writing, journaling and diary keeping, right? I thought so. 🙂
Below you will discover a fun list of writing ideas for kids to inspire their diary or journal writing efforts. On this list of writing ideas, there are prompts that are sentences that need to be completed, questions to respond to, and thoughts to ponder and explore.
Encourage kids to enjoy and write their heart out in their personal diary or journal. Most of all… tell them to have loads of fun on their writing adventures!
33 Diary Writing Ideas for Kids
- I am very proud because…
- If I were President I would…
- Why is the president so important?
- I am afraid to…
- Name on thing you do really well?
- What is your favorite room in your home and why?
- Describe what it means to be a good neighbor?
- What is your favorite time of day?
- Describe your best day ever?
- How do you deal with people who bug you?
- What excites you?
- Describe your favorite hobby.
- What is your favorite quote by a famous person?
- What is your favorite song and why?
- Climbing trees is…
- I wish trees could….. because….
- I want to be a ________ when I grow up. Then I will….
- I wish there were a law that said…..
- I wish I could forget the time I ….. because….
- I wish I could do…… because…..
- Older people are…
- Younger people are…
- The perfect place in the whole wide world is…
- What makes you feel sad?
- What can you do to help you feel better when you’re feeling blue?
- Name your favorite book and why?
- Walking in the rain is…
- I am proud of myself because…
- What I know about rabbits is that…
- If I were an Easter egg…
- For lunch today…
- If I were a raindrop I’d…
- Pretend that you can fly whenever you wanted. Where would you go?d
Check out the 1000+ other writing ideas we have to offer you here on our fabulous writing resources site. More writing ideas are all the time!
More Thoughts on How Diary Writing Can Help Kids
Aside from being a great past time with positive health benefits, diary writing can boost a child’s creative expression abilities. Furthermore, keeping diaries — or a personal journal — is a great tool to use to manage the various aspects of life, especially those emotional challenges that life tends to hand us.
Psychologists have found that writing about emotions helps the brain cope with emotional struggles, thus reducing one’s heartaches and keeping life more emotionally balanced and healthier. Indeed, writing is a form of therapy that can effectively help children sort through their emotions.
Furthermore, diary writing can also help a child achieve their goals. When scribbling down things they want to achieve on a piece of paper, children can clearly define and give form to what they want to manifest in their life. They also give form to what it is they believe will bring them happiness. Taking the time to record your goals in a diary often means that you are half ways toward accomplishing them!
Writing can also help kids counter their fear of failure. Through writing, children can improve their capacity to accept errors and failures just by the simple act of becoming aware of their thoughts and feelings about this subject. If a child decides to write daily about their fear of failure, it is thought that their tolerance for failure could grow so much so that eventually the child can eliminate many of their fears about it. This is another powerful benefit of diary writing.
By helping a kid express thoughts and ideas, diary writing becomes an effective way to communicate with oneself, especially in regards to those sensitive matters of the heart. Given all the ways writing can help surely you see its value.
Lastly, if you see that your child has a propensity for writing, she (or he) most likely has a great potential for self-improvement and self-awareness. That bodes well for their future success. And who knows, your child might end up with a writing career that is not only an achievement to be proud of but also a fabulous source of income.
Until next time, keep on writing in that diary!
If you enjoyed these Diary Writing Ideas for Kids,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator