Memorial Day Writing Prompts — Memorial Day is an important time for Americans to remember our veterans and those who have served our country. It is also an opportunity to honor those loved ones who have gone before us.
Journaling is a powerful activity that helps students to understand big topics.
While research papers and essays can help them to improve their writing and critical thinking skills, journaling also gives students the chance to examine their feelings. They’ll be able to relate to material in a new way as they learn concepts and then consider how those lessons make them feel.
On Memorial Day, as students remember our veterans and those who have passed away, help them tap into their feelings around service and honor. Journaling can help students understand this holiday from a deeper perspective.
Journal Writing Topics: 53 Memorial Day Prompts
This Memorial Day, get students thinking about the significance of this holiday with these 53 Memorial Day journal writing topics. They’ll think about the veterans they know and ways to honor them, as well as the important role the military plays in our country.
- Why is it important to celebrate Memorial Day?
- How can we honor veterans on Memorial Day?
- Who will you remember on Memorial Day?
- Are there any veterans in your family?
- I appreciate the military because…
- Should Memorial Day be a time to remember only veterans or all those who have died?
- Do you think Memorial Day is about remembering deaths or celebrating lives?
- What could you do to honor veterans in your community?
- Why do veterans deserve respect?
- Write a story about a veteran coming home from war.
- Does your family celebrate Memorial Day?
- Do you think veterans are respected enough in the US?
- On Memorial Day, how can you honor your family or friends who have died?
- How do you think veterans feel on Memorial day?
- Why do we celebrate Memorial Day with barbecues and picnics?
- What would the US be like without a military?
- What does your family do on Memorial Day?
- Have you ever lost someone close to you? How did you feel?
- Which of our national holidays is most important to you?
- What does Memorial Day mean to you?
- Why is our military so important?
- Why do soldiers tell “war stories”? How do they help us remember?
- What would be a good way of celebrating the lives of those who have died?
- When did you first understand the importance of Memorial Day?
- What would it be like to live in a war area?
- Write a story about a young man in college getting ready to go to boot camp.
- Do you feel safer because of the military?
- Why are national holidays like Memorial day important?
- How would you teach a younger kid about the importance of Memorial Day?
- On Memorial Day, I will…
- Do you think of Memorial Day as the start of the summer?
- How do you feel on Memorial Day? Respectful? Sad? Hopeful?
- If you were in a branch of the military, which one would you choose?
- What are some important things the US military has accomplished?
- What do you like to do on Memorial Day?
- How would you feel if there was a draft?
- What do you know about Memorial Day?
- Does Memorial Day make you feel patriotic?
- Does your family participate in remembrance on Memorial Day?
- What will you do to honor this Memorial Day?
- Which military branch do you think has the hardest job?
- What does the word “memorial” mean to people?
- Do you think we could have a world where we didn’t need a military?
- Do veterans deserve additional benefits?
- Do you know anyone who is in the military now?
- Why do we need to remember veterans and their service?
- How do you think soldiers feel when they get called to active duty?
- What do you think about war?
- Write a story about a soldier serving who misses his family.
- Should women be allowed in the military?
- If you know any veterans, how can you thank them?
- Have you ever been to a public Memorial Day celebration? What was the atmosphere like?
- How could we honor veterans all year long?
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Journal Writing Topics about Memorial Day,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator