Fiction Writing for Elementary School Students — By introducing fiction writing in your elementary classroom, you are giving your students an opportunity to begin to expand their imaginations while also developing their writing skills.
Through fiction writing, they learn the value of creating characters, developing a plot line and telling a story that teaches a lesson.
Regardless of the individual career path that a student may take later in life, they are going to need to know how to write well. Get them started on the right path by encouraging them to create their own fiction stories and to write as often as possible.
Use these fiction writing prompts to get the creative juices flowing in your students, and to teach them how to enjoy the writing process!
Fiction Writing Prompts for Elementary Students
- Two friends are walking home from school when they discover a time machine, and they decide to try it out. Which time period do they travel to? What happens once they arrive?
- Start your story with this sentence: On a vacation to paradise, something unexpected happened…
- George Washington and Alexander Hamilton are having a conversation about what to put into the Constitution of the United States. Write a story about what they discussed and how that changed the final draft of the Constitution.
- Write a story about a butterfly that needed to earn the colors on her wings. What did she have to do to get her colors? Which colors did she choose once she accomplished her goal?
- The character in your story has to stay the same age for the rest of time. What age is your character? What challenges arise from being stuck at the same stage?
- Two birds set out on a grand adventure together one day. Write about where they go, what they see and what they do along the way.
- It all started with a magical pen…
- The snow was falling all around, and the world looked like a snow globe. There was only one problem. It was June…
- Write a story about a princess who was trapped in a castle that was guarded by a dragon. But instead of a daring prince coming to save the day, the princess uses the tools and resources inside the castle to rescue herself. Tell about what she does to overcome her challenge.
- For one day, the character in your story gets to make all of the rules. Write about the changes your character would make, and the consequences that result from his or her choices.
- Write a story about a character who is the same age as you are, but living life 100 years in the future.
- Imagine that your main character is a chef in a very busy kitchen, and they are preparing the most important meal of their life. Who are they making the meal for? What do they decide to cook? How does their exciting day go?
- Write a story from the perspective of a camera.
- A grandma arrives to pick her grandkids up for the weekend. The children think they are heading to grandma’s house for the night, but she has other plans. She is going to take them on a grand adventure…
- The character in your story has to make a choice. They can either walk into the blue door, or the red door. Each door leads to a different destination…
- The main character in your story is your favorite superhero. Write a story about what they have to do in order to save the day.
- Write a story from the perspective of a dinosaur. Describe the setting in detail, and talk about what life is like for your particular dinosaur.
- It’s hard to hear over the roaring of the spaceship, but the person on the intercom declares that the mission is almost complete. “Next stop is Mars, the red planet!” What happens next?
- Tell the story of two best friends who get in an argument. What do they do to reconcile their differences?
- Write a story about a family of rabbits who live in the forest. Who are their neighbors? What do they do for fun?
- Your character is strolling through a nearby garden when they discover a vegetable they have never seen before. What does it look like? What does it taste like? What happens when the character snacks on the vegetable?
- Your character is playing at the beach and they find buried treasure. What’s inside? How does their life change?
- It was a dark and stormy night, and suddenly, the lights went out in the house…
- The time had finally come…
- Your character just helped their team win the championship game. What happens next?
- The character in your story just created an invention that will change the world. What did they design? How will it help people?
- The story begins in a magical land, and your character is lost. Who does your character meet while on their journey home?
- Write a story about a student who is starting at a new school. What are they feeling? How will they meet new friends?
- A powerful stone appeared, and it had the potential to change everything…
- The trip of a lifetime was about to begin, and the three friends were heading to the country of…
These are just a few ideas to get you started, but the possibilities are endless when it comes to fiction writing. The most important thing is to always keep encouraging your students to write!
Until next time…
If you enjoyed these Fiction Writing Prompts for Elementary Students,
please share them on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator