Fictional Creative Story Ideas for Kids— Crafting fiction stories is one of the most engaging ways to get students interested in practicing and refining their writing skills. Wonderfully, you now have at your fingertips some excellent fiction story ideas for middle school writers. You see…
The fiction story ideas listed below include 34 brief scenarios or plot devices to help your middle schoolers get to writing and crafting their own creative stories.
Use these fun writing prompts and fiction writing ideas in your classroom to get your middle schoolers’ creativity flowing. The fun and adventure of their next great story are just ahead.
There are Plenty of Good Story Ideas for Students Here
By sharing this list of prompts with your kids, you’ll help them further refine their creative story writing skills. Oh, and remember to give them some feedback on their writing creations, too.
Creative writing in all forms has immeasurable benefits for young minds. So get to it and use these creative and fun fictional story ideas with your student writers today.
34 Creative Fiction Story Ideas for Middle School
These awesome story starters are sure to thrill your writers. Take a look and enjoy!
- Write a story about a garden where anything can grow.
- Write a story about a discovery made in a secret cave.
- Write a story about a young girl who is extremely talented at math.
- Write a story about a graffiti artist with an unusual style who paints all around a town.
- Write a story about a professional chess player and what he or she is thinking during a big tournament.
- Write a story about a beach vacation that gets interrupted by a dangerous storm.
- Write a story about a young boy growing up on Mars.
- Write a story about a group of people dining in a busy restaurant.
- Write a story about an unsolved mystery and the hero detective who is searching for clues.
- Write a story about an idyllic summer barbecue that gets interrupted by a dramatic guest.
- Write a story about a dragon that breathes fireworks instead of fire.
- Write a story about a winter with a record-breaking amount of snow.
- Write a story about an alternate world where the people you know all act like the opposite of themselves.
- Write a story about a small town with a giant problem.
- Write a story about a group of birds flying south for the winter.
- Write a story about a TV star who decides to live undercover for a month.
- Write a story about a family that discovers a secret attic in their home.
- Write a story about a girl who is shocked when her birthday wish comes true.
- Write a story about a group of aliens trying to contact the people on Earth.
- Write a story about a spy with a dangerous secret.
- Write a story about a serene boat trip.
- Write a story about a young man who sneaks his way into his dream job.
- Write a story about a group of kids that throw a party when their parents aren’t home.
- Write a story about the most epic birthday celebration ever.
- Write a story about a family that goes on an exotic safari.
- Write a story about a magical jacket.
- Write a story about a boy who sees everything in black and white.
- Write a story about a robot with an unusual set of skills.
- Write a story about a ninja who is very clumsy.
- Write a story about a family that sells everything and spends a year traveling and camping.
- Write a story about a dinosaur that loves baking and crafts.
- Write a story about a girl whose best friend is her pet tiger.
- Write a story about a group of kids who find buried treasure in a local park.
- Write a story about our favorite book going on a journey around the world
Yay! Get your middle school students writing with these excellent Fiction Story Ideas for Middle School, because…
When students write stories, including long or short stories, they practice a number of key creative skills, including imagination, critical thinking, description, consequence, and empathy.
I hope you enjoyed the fictional story topic ideas and fun story ideas on this list and found inspiration from them.
148 More Creative Story Ideas
At journalbuddies.com, you’ll find loads of journal prompts, story starters, romance ideas, poetry prompts, and more to inspire your writers. Here are some good ones for you to explore.
- 25 Fantasy Writing Prompts
- 60 Fiction Writing Prompts to Inspire a wonderful fictional story
- 30 Sci-Fi Writing Prompts for Middle and High Schoolers
- 33 Creative Writing Prompts
Use the creative story ideas and our related writing resources listed above for middle schoolers to get your students excited about the process of fiction writing this year.
A Few Closing Thoughts
Writing stories — from short story ideas or fantasy stories and beyond — are all fun ways for writers to practice their writing skills.
Yet, staring down a blank page with no ideas is the hardest place to start. For some, it even causes writer’s block. But even a simple prompt like “a family that goes on an exotic safari” or “a winter with a record-breaking amount of snow” can be all that is needed to spark a student’s imagination.
Best of all, students will be delighted to see the number of different possibilities one sentence can lead to as they and their classmates all come up with their own unique stories and perspectives.
At times, writing about a favorite can help spark one’s imagination. In this case, you could encourage your students to write about their favorite animal, favorite sport, or even their favorite movie or video game. Truly, it’s not the topic nor the genre that gives the story the magic. It’s writer and reader engagement that is the true gift of good fiction writing.
Ok, that’s all for today.
Until next time, write on…
If you enjoyed these Creative Fiction Story Ideas for Middle School (and high school students),
please share them on social media Facebook, Twitter, and/or Pinterest.
I appreciate it!
creator and curator
PS Check out this helpful resource—> Creative Writing Worksheets and Teacher Resources